Last Updated on May 17, 2023 by gregor
Introduction: Welcome to Vorarlberg, Austria’s best-kept secret! Nestled in the westernmost part of the country, Vorarlberg offers a breathtaking blend of Alpine landscapes, charming villages, and a rich cultural heritage. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, an adventure seeker, or a culture lover, this captivating region has something to offer everyone. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll unveil the best things to do, top attractions, day trips, family-friendly activities, and much more. So pack your bags and get ready for an unforgettable journey through Vorarlberg!
Vorarlberg Travel Guide: Best Things to Do in Vorarlberg, Austria
Why Visit Vorarlberg in Austria
- Majestic Alpine landscapes dotted with snow-capped peaks and picturesque valleys
- Quaint villages with traditional architecture and warm hospitality
- Wide range of outdoor activities, including hiking, skiing, snowboarding, and mountain biking
- Rich cultural heritage with historic sites, museums, and traditional festivals
- Culinary delights featuring local specialties like Käsespätzle and Bregenzerwälder Käsekuchen
- A unique blend of modern architecture and sustainable design
Plan your Trip to Vorarlberg?
Where is Vorarlberg
Vorarlberg is located in the westernmost part of Austria, bordering Germany, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein. It is part of the Austrian Alps and offers stunning views of Lake Constance.
When is the Best Time to Visit Vorarlberg in Austria
- Spring (April to June): Mild temperatures, blooming flowers, and fewer crowds make it an ideal time for hiking and exploring the region.
- Summer (July to August): Pleasant temperatures, vibrant festivals, and outdoor activities such as swimming, sailing, and mountain biking are popular during this time.
- Autumn (September to November): The foliage turns into vibrant hues of orange and gold, creating a picturesque backdrop for hiking and photography.
- Winter (December to March): Vorarlberg transforms into a winter wonderland, offering excellent skiing and snowboarding conditions in its world-class resorts.
How to Get to Vorarlberg in Austria
- By Air: The closest international airports are Zurich Airport (ZRH) in Switzerland and Munich Airport (MUC) in Germany. From there, you can take a train or rent a car to reach Vorarlberg.
- ✈️ Buy the cheapest flight tickets with WayAway
- By Train: Vorarlberg is well-connected by rail, with frequent train services from major cities in Austria and neighboring countries.
- 🚂 🚌 ✈️ Best prices for Train, Buses, Cars, Ferries, and flights Omio
- By Car: If you prefer a scenic road trip, Vorarlberg can be easily accessed via well-maintained highways and mountain passes.
- 🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
Best Things to Do in Vorarlberg
Google MAP with the Best Things to Do in Vorarlberg
Explore the Bregenz Festival
The Bregenz Festival is one of the highlights of Vorarlberg’s cultural calendar. Attend a captivating opera performance on the floating stage of Lake Constance, surrounded by stunning scenery. The festival’s unique blend of music, theater, and visual arts is a must-see experience.
Take in the Beauty of Lake Constance (Bodensee)
Lake Constance, or Bodensee, is a breathtaking body of water that borders Vorarlberg. Take a boat tour, rent a paddleboard, or simply relax on the shores, enjoying the serene atmosphere and panoramic views.
Hit the Slopes at the Arlberg, Lech, St. Anton & Zürs
Vorarlberg is renowned for its world-class ski resorts. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert skier, head to resorts like Lech, Zürs, or St. Anton am Arlberg for thrilling winter sports adventures. The region offers well-groomed slopes, stunning alpine scenery, and a wide range of winter activities.
Hike in the Bregenzerwald
Lace up your hiking boots and explore the scenic trails of the Bregenzerwald. This picturesque region is known for its lush green meadows, dense forests, and charming villages. Choose from a variety of hiking routes that cater to different skill levels and immerse yourself in the tranquility of nature.
Visit the Angelika Kauffmann Museum
Located in Schwarzenberg, the Angelika Kauffmann Museum is dedicated to the life and work of the renowned painter. Explore the museum’s collection of art and learn about the life and legacy of this influential artist.
Discover Vorarlberg’s Architecture
Vorarlberg is famous for its innovative and sustainable architecture. Take a guided tour of the region’s modern architectural gems, including the Werkraum Bregenzerwald, a showcase of local craftsmanship, and the Kunsthaus Bregenz, a contemporary art museum known for its striking design.
Relax in Thermal Spas
Treat yourself to a day of relaxation and rejuvenation at one of Vorarlberg’s thermal spas. The region boasts several wellness centers and thermal baths where you can unwind in soothing pools, indulge in spa treatments, and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding mountains.
Sample Local Cuisine
Vorarlberg is known for its delectable cuisine, which blends Austrian and Swiss influences. Taste traditional dishes such as Käsespätzle (cheese noodles), Wälderkäse (regional cheese), and Sura Kees (sour cheese). Don’t forget to pair your meal with a glass of local wine or a refreshing beer.
Explore Feldkirch’s Old Town
Wander through the charming streets of Feldkirch’s Old Town, with its well-preserved medieval buildings and cobblestone alleys. Visit the impressive Schattenburg Castle, dating back to the 13th century, and soak up the historical ambiance of this enchanting town.
Attend a Traditional Folk Festival
Experience the vibrant traditions and culture of Vorarlberg by attending one of the region’s traditional folk festivals. These events showcase local music, dance, crafts, and culinary delights, providing a glimpse into Vorarlberg’s rich heritage.
Bike Along the Rhine River
Follow the Rhine River cycling path and explore the stunning landscapes of Vorarlberg. Rent a bike and pedal through picturesque villages, vineyards, and lush meadows, enjoying the fresh air and scenic views
Visit the Inatura Dornbirn
Immerse yourself in the interactive world of nature and science at the Inatura Dornbirn. This museum offers hands-on exhibits, multimedia presentations, and educational displays that showcase the region’s flora, fauna, and ecosystems. It’s a great place for both adults and children to learn and have fun.
Take a Boat Trip on Lake Vermunt
Lake Vermunt, nestled in the beautiful Silvretta Mountains, offers a peaceful and idyllic setting for a boat trip. Hop on a ferry or rent a small boat to explore the crystal-clear waters surrounded by majestic peaks. It’s a perfect opportunity to relax, enjoy the scenery, and immerse yourself in nature.
Visit the Pfänder Mountain
Take a cable car ride to the top of Pfänder Mountain near Bregenz and be rewarded with breathtaking panoramic views of Lake Constance and the surrounding landscapes. Explore the nature trails, visit the wildlife park, and enjoy a meal at the mountain-top restaurant while taking in the stunning vistas.
Discover the Rappenlochschlucht
Embark on a nature adventure at the Rappenlochschlucht, a dramatic gorge near Dornbirn. Follow the well-maintained trails that wind through the ravine, cross suspension bridges, and marvel at the rushing waterfalls. It’s a fantastic opportunity to connect with nature and experience the region’s natural beauty up close.
Enjoy Watersports in Brandnertal
Head to Brandnertal, a scenic valley in Vorarlberg, and engage in a variety of watersports activities. Try your hand at stand-up paddleboarding, canoeing, or kayaking on the tranquil waters of the Ill River. The picturesque surroundings and peaceful atmosphere create a perfect setting for outdoor water adventures.
Visit the Rolls-Royce Museum
Car enthusiasts will appreciate a visit to the Rolls-Royce Museum in Dornbirn. Discover the history and craftsmanship behind these iconic luxury vehicles through a collection of vintage cars, photographs, and exhibits that showcase the legacy of the Rolls-Royce brand.
Experience Paragliding in Lech-Zürs
If you’re seeking an adrenaline rush and a bird’s-eye view of the stunning Alpine scenery, try paragliding in Lech-Zürs. Soar above the mountains, feeling the thrill of flight as you take in the majestic landscapes below. Experienced pilots are available to guide you on this exhilarating adventure.
Explore the Alpine Wildlife Park Feldkirch
Located on the slopes of the Schattenburg Castle in Feldkirch, the Alpine Wildlife Park offers a unique opportunity to observe and learn about native Alpine wildlife. Take a leisurely stroll through the park and encounter animals such as deer, ibex, marmots, and various bird species in their natural habitats.
Attend Vorarlberg’s Traditional Festivals
Throughout the year, Vorarlberg hosts a variety of traditional festivals that celebrate the region’s culture and traditions. From harvest festivals and wine celebrations to music and dance events, these festivals provide a glimpse into the vibrant local heritage and offer a chance to mingle with locals and experience Vorarlberg’s lively spirit.
Take a Cable Car Ride to Karren Mountain
Hop on the cable car in Dornbirn and ascend to the summit of Karren Mountain for panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes. Enjoy a leisurely hike or savor a delicious meal at the mountaintop restaurant.
Discover the Alpine Village of Lech
Experience the enchanting alpine village of Lech, known for its luxurious ski resorts, charming chalets, and upscale boutiques. Whether you’re hitting the slopes or indulging in spa treatments, Lech offers a perfect blend of relaxation and adventure.
Cruise Lake Constance
Take a leisurely boat trip on Lake Constance, which borders Vorarlberg. Marvel at the crystal-clear waters, visit the picturesque island of Mainau with its stunning gardens and explore the charming lakeside towns of Bregenz, Lindau, and Friedrichshafen.
Enjoy Watersports at Bodensee
Visit Bodensee, the largest lake in Germany, which also touches the shores of Vorarlberg. Engage in various water activities such as sailing, windsurfing, or paddleboarding. The lake’s serene ambiance and beautiful surroundings provide an ideal setting for relaxation.
Located in the southern part of Vorarlberg, Montafon is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. The region offers a wide range of activities throughout the year. In winter, hit the slopes for skiing or snowboarding in popular resorts such as Silvretta Montafon and Golm. In summer, hike through the stunning landscapes, take mountain bike trails, or try your hand at rock climbing. Montafon also hosts cultural events and festivals that provide insight into the local traditions and customs.
Nestled in the heart of the Alpine Rhine Valley, Bludenz is a charming town that is worth exploring. Take a stroll through the picturesque old town with its narrow streets, historical buildings, and vibrant squares. Visit the Schloss Gayenhofen, a medieval castle that houses a museum showcasing the town’s history. Bludenz is also a gateway to nearby mountain destinations, making it an ideal base for outdoor activities.
Enjoy Mountain Biking
Vorarlberg offers a plethora of mountain biking trails that cater to all levels of experience. Whether you’re a beginner or an advanced rider, you’ll find trails that wind through scenic landscapes, from lush forests to alpine meadows. The Bikepark Brandnertal and the trails in Montafon are particularly popular among mountain biking enthusiasts, offering adrenaline-pumping descents and challenging terrain.
Körbersee is a picturesque alpine lake situated in the heart of the Verwall Mountains. Surrounded by majestic peaks and lush meadows, this hidden gem offers a tranquil setting for relaxation and outdoor activities. Take a hike to the lake and enjoy a picnic on its shores, or simply soak in the beauty of the surroundings. The crystal-clear waters of Körbersee are also inviting for a refreshing swim during the summer months.
The Verwall region is a nature lover’s paradise, offering stunning landscapes and a wide range of outdoor activities. Hike through the Verwall Valley, surrounded by towering mountains and glaciers, and explore the pristine alpine wilderness. The region is also known for its wildflowers, making it a fantastic destination for nature photography and birdwatching. Immerse yourself in the tranquility of Verwall and connect with nature on a deeper level.
Top Attractions in Vorarlberg, Austria
- The Bregenz Festival: Witness the world-renowned Bregenz Festival, famous for its spectacular open-air stage productions on Lake Constance. Be captivated by the elaborate sets and performances against the backdrop of the lake and the mountains.
- Schattenburg Castle: Explore the medieval Schattenburg Castle in Feldkirch, which houses a museum showcasing the history and culture of the region. Climb the tower for breathtaking views of the town and the surrounding landscapes.
- Montafon Alpine Valley: Immerse yourself in the beauty of Montafon, a picturesque alpine valley offering stunning mountain scenery, charming villages, and a wide range of outdoor activities such as hiking, skiing, and mountain biking.
- Vorarlberg Museum: Discover the history, art, and culture of Vorarlberg at the Vorarlberg Museum in Bregenz. The museum showcases exhibitions that highlight the region’s heritage, architecture, and contemporary art scene.
- Hohenems Palace: Step back in time at Hohenems Palace, a magnificent Renaissance-era palace that houses a museum. Learn about the history of the Jewish community in Vorarlberg and explore the beautifully preserved rooms and gardens.
Best Vorarlberg Tours
- Vorarlberg Food Tour: Embark on a culinary journey through Vorarlberg, sampling local delicacies and traditional dishes. Visit local farms, cheese dairies, and bakeries to experience the region’s gastronomic treasures.
- Vorarlberg Bike Tour: Explore the scenic landscapes of Vorarlberg on a bike tour. Pedal through picturesque villages, along lakeshores, and through stunning mountain passes, enjoying the fresh mountain air and breathtaking views.
- Vorarlberg Wine Tour: Delight your taste buds with a wine tour through Vorarlberg’s vineyards. Discover the region’s thriving wine culture, visit wineries, and indulge in tastings of local wines accompanied by regional specialties.
Best Day Trips from Vorarlberg
- Vaduz, Liechtenstein: Cross the border and visit Vaduz, the capital of the tiny principality of Liechtenstein. Explore the charming town, visit Vaduz Castle, and immerse yourself in the unique culture of this microstate.
- Innsbruck, Tyrol: Head east to Innsbruck, the capital of Tyrol, and experience its rich history and stunning alpine scenery. Explore the historic Old Town, marvel at the Golden Roof, visit the Imperial Palace, and take a cable car ride to the Nordkette mountain range for panoramic views. 16 BEST THINGS TO DO IN INNSBRUCK, AUSTRIA – TOP INNSBRUCK ATTRACTIONS
- Lake Zurich, Switzerland: Take a scenic drive to Lake Zurich, located just across the border in Switzerland. Enjoy a relaxing day by the lake, go boating or swimming, and explore the charming lakeside towns of Zurich, Rapperswil, or Meilen.
- St. Anton am Arlberg, Tyrol: Venture to St. Anton am Arlberg, a renowned ski resort in Tyrol. Even if you’re visiting in the summer, you can still enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, mountain biking, or taking a cable car ride to enjoy the breathtaking alpine views.
- Konstanz, Germany: Cross the border to Germany and visit Konstanz, a historic city on the shores of Lake Constance. Explore the beautiful Old Town, visit the impressive Konstanz Cathedral, and take a boat trip to the nearby Mainau Island.
Popular Things to Do in Vorarlberg with Kids
- Aquaria Water Park, Oberstaufen: Treat your little ones to a day of water fun at Aquaria Water Park in Oberstaufen, just a short drive from Vorarlberg. The park features pools, slides, and various water attractions that will keep the kids entertained for hours.
- Ravensburger Spieleland, Meckenbeuren: Take a family trip to Ravensburger Spieleland, an amusement park in Meckenbeuren. Enjoy thrilling rides, interactive play areas, and educational exhibits based on the popular Ravensburger games and toys.
- Montafon Alpine Coaster, Schruns: Experience an adrenaline rush on the Montafon Alpine Coaster in Schruns. This exciting toboggan ride takes you down the mountain at high speeds, providing a thrilling adventure for both children and adults.
- Karren Adventure Park, Dornbirn: Visit the Karren Adventure Park in Dornbirn, where kids can climb, swing, and navigate through various obstacle courses and zip lines. The park offers a safe and exciting environment for kids to challenge themselves and enjoy outdoor activities.
- Wildlife Park Feldkirch: Take a trip to the Wildlife Park Feldkirch, where children can observe and learn about native wildlife in a natural habitat. From deer and ibex to wolves and lynx, the park offers a unique opportunity for kids to connect with nature.
Free Activities in Vorarlberg
- Explore the Lünersee: Discover the beauty of the Lünersee, a stunning alpine lake located in the Rätikon Mountains. Enjoy a leisurely hike around the lake or simply relax on its shores, taking in the breathtaking scenery.
- Wander through the Historic Town Centers: Take a stroll through the historic town centers of Bregenz, Feldkirch, and Dornbirn. Admire the charming architecture, browse local shops, and soak up the lively atmosphere without spending a dime.
- Enjoy Scenic Drives: Hit the road and explore the scenic drives of Vorarlberg. From the Silvretta High Alpine Road to the Bregenzerwald Cheese Road, these routes offer panoramic views of the mountains, valleys, and picturesque villages along the way. 🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
- Visit the Bregenzerwald Cheese Dairy: Experience the art of cheese-making at the Bregenzerwald Cheese Dairy in Hittisau. Take a free guided tour to learn about the traditional cheese-making process and sample a variety of delicious cheeses.
- Attend Cultural Events: Check out the local event calendars for free cultural events, festivals, and concerts happening in Vorarlberg. From open-air performances during the Bregenz Festival to traditional folk festivals and live music events, Vorarlberg offers a vibrant cultural scene that often includes free or affordable options for visitors to enjoy.
Best Vorarlberg Sightseeing Tours
- Bregenzerwald Architecture Tour: Embark on a guided tour of the Bregenzerwald region to admire its outstanding architecture. From modern and sustainable buildings to traditional wooden houses, you’ll gain insights into the region’s unique design ethos.
- Vorarlberg Wine Tour: Indulge in a wine tasting and tour through Vorarlberg’s vineyards. Visit local wineries, learn about the wine-making process, and savor the flavors of the region’s renowned wines.
- Alpine Panoramic Train Journey: Hop aboard the scenic train journey that traverses the alpine landscapes of Vorarlberg. Sit back, relax, and enjoy breathtaking vistas of mountains, valleys, and picturesque villages along the way.
- Silvretta High Alpine Road Tour: Take a memorable drive along the Silvretta High Alpine Road, a panoramic mountain route that offers stunning views of the Silvretta mountain range and its glaciers. Don’t forget your camera for this awe-inspiring journey. 🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
- Bregenz Lake Constance Boat Tour: Embark on a boat tour on Lake Constance, departing from Bregenz. Cruise the sparkling waters, enjoy the fresh air, and soak in the picturesque views of the lake and its surrounding landscapes.
Is Vorarlberg Worth Visiting?
Absolutely! Vorarlberg is a hidden gem that offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, cultural heritage, and outdoor adventures. From its majestic Alpine landscapes and charming villages to its thriving art scene and culinary delights, Vorarlberg provides a unique and authentic Austrian experience. Whether you’re seeking outdoor thrills, cultural immersion, or simply a tranquil escape, Vorarlberg is well worth a visit.
What is Vorarlberg Famous For?
Vorarlberg is famous for its stunning alpine landscapes, world-class ski resorts, and innovative architecture. The region has gained recognition for its commitment to sustainability and eco-friendly design, with numerous award-winning buildings and projects. Vorarlberg is also renowned for its delicious cheeses, including the famous Vorarlberger Bergkäse, which is a culinary delight for cheese enthusiasts.
How to Spend a Day in Vorarlberg:
Start your day with a visit to Bregenz, exploring its charming Old Town and taking in the panoramic views of Lake Constance. From there, head to the Rätikon Mountains for a rewarding hike, immersing yourself in the region’s natural beauty. In the afternoon, visit one of Vorarlberg’s cultural attractions, such as the Vorarlberg Museum or the Angelika Kauffmann Museum. End your day by enjoying a delicious meal at a traditional Austrian restaurant, savoring local specialties, and raising a glass of regional wine.
How Many Days in Vorarlberg Is Enough?
To fully experience Vorarlberg, it is recommended to spend at least four to five days in the region. This allows you to explore the major attractions, engage in outdoor activities, and immerse yourself in the local culture. However, if you have more time, you can extend your stay to a week or more to enjoy additional day trips, and leisurely hikes, and immerse yourself further in the region’s charm.
Best Places for Shopping in Vorarlberg
- Bregenz: Explore the shops and boutiques in Bregenz, particularly around the Kornmarkt and Römerstraße areas. Here, you’ll find a variety of fashion boutiques, souvenir shops, and specialty stores.
- Dornbirn: Visit the city center of Dornbirn, where you’ll find a range of shopping options. Check out the Marktstraße and Kirchplatz areas for fashion, accessories, and local products. Don’t miss the Dornbirn Farmers’ Market for fresh produce, regional specialties, and handmade crafts.
- Feldkirch: Explore the charming streets of Feldkirch, where you’ll discover unique shops and boutiques. From fashion and jewelry to art galleries and antique stores, Feldkirch offers a delightful shopping experience.
- Bregenzerwald: Visit the Bregenzerwald region, known for its craftsmanship and traditional arts. Explore the village of Schwarzenberg, where you can find workshops and stores offering handmade wooden crafts, textiles, and ceramics.
- Outlet Centers: If you’re looking for great deals and discounts, Vorarlberg has several outlet centers worth exploring.
Famous Cities in Vorarlberg
- Bregenz: The capital of Vorarlberg, Bregenz is known for its stunning location on Lake Constance and its vibrant cultural scene. It’s famous for the Bregenz Festival, its charming Old Town, and the iconic Bregenz Festival stage.
- Dornbirn: As the largest city in Vorarlberg, Dornbirn offers a mix of urban amenities and natural beauty. It’s known for its shopping opportunities, modern architecture, and beautiful Karren Mountain.
- Feldkirch: With its well-preserved medieval old town and the impressive Schattenburg Castle, Feldkirch is a city steeped in history. It’s a great place to explore ancient streets, visit museums, and immerse yourself in the region’s rich heritage.
Is Vorarlberg Better than Tyrol?
Both Vorarlberg and Tyrol have their own unique charms and attractions, and it ultimately depends on personal preferences. Vorarlberg offers a more intimate and tranquil atmosphere with its picturesque alpine landscapes, while Tyrol boasts larger ski resorts, bustling cities, and a wider range of tourist amenities. Both regions are renowned for outdoor activities, natural beauty, and cultural experiences, so it’s worth exploring both if you have the opportunity.
Is Vorarlberg a Walkable City?
Vorarlberg, as a region, consists of various cities and towns, and each has its own walkability. Cities like Bregenz, Dornbirn, and Feldkirch have well-designed city centers that are pedestrian-friendly, with walkways, promenades, and pedestrian zones. These areas allow visitors to explore the cities on foot, enjoying the sights, shops, and attractions. However, it’s important to note that Vorarlberg’s natural landscapes and outdoor activities often require transportation, such as hiking trails in the mountains or visiting more remote areas.
Getting Around Vorarlberg
Vorarlberg has an efficient and reliable public transportation system, making it easy to get around the region and explore its attractions. The train and bus networks connect major cities and towns, offering convenient access to various destinations. You can purchase a Vorarlberg Travel Pass, which provides unlimited travel on public transportation within the region for a specified period.
If you prefer more flexibility, renting a car gives you the freedom to explore remote areas and take scenic drives. Roads in Vorarlberg are well-maintained, and the region offers picturesque routes that showcase its natural beauty.
🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
Where to Stay in Vorarlberg
Vorarlberg offers a range of accommodation options to suit different preferences and budgets. Here are some popular choices:
- Luxury Resorts: Vorarlberg is known for its luxurious ski resorts, such as Lech, Zürs, and St. Anton am Arlberg where you can indulge in world-class amenities, spa facilities, and upscale accommodations.
- Boutique Hotels: Vorarlberg is home to charming boutique hotels that blend modern design with local traditions. These intimate and stylish accommodations offer personalized service and a unique atmosphere.
- Traditional Guesthouses: Experience the warm hospitality of Vorarlberg by staying in a traditional guesthouse or family-run inn. These cozy establishments provide comfortable rooms, delicious regional cuisine, and a chance to connect with the local culture.
- Alpine Huts and Mountain Lodges: For those seeking an immersive mountain experience, Vorarlberg offers alpine huts and mountain lodges. These rustic accommodations are perfect for hikers and nature enthusiasts, providing a unique opportunity to stay amidst the stunning alpine scenery.
- Vacation Rentals and Apartments: If you prefer a more independent and home-like experience, Vorarlberg has a wide selection of vacation rentals and apartments. These options are ideal for families or groups, offering ample space, kitchen facilities, and the freedom to create your own itinerary.
🏨 Find the perfect accommodation on Booking.com
Tips for Planning a Trip to Vorarlberg
- Weather and Season: Consider the weather and season when planning your trip to Vorarlberg. The region is known for its Alpine climate, with warm summers and cold winters. If you’re interested in skiing or winter sports, visit during the snowy months. For outdoor activities, hiking, and exploring the cities, summer and early autumn are ideal.
- Research and Itinerary: Research the attractions, activities, and events in Vorarlberg to create an itinerary that suits your interests. Consider the duration of your stay and prioritize the must-visit places and experiences.
- Outdoor Gear: If you’re planning to engage in outdoor activities, make sure to pack appropriate gear and clothing. This includes sturdy hiking boots, waterproof jackets, sunscreen, and layers for varying temperatures.
- Local Cuisine: Vorarlberg is renowned for its delicious cuisine. Don’t miss the opportunity to savor regional specialties such as Käsespätzle (cheese noodles), Riebel (buckwheat dish), and Apfelstrudel (apple strudel). Pair your meals with local wines and cheeses for a complete culinary experience.
- Language and Currency: The official language in Vorarlberg is German. While English is widely spoken in tourist areas, learning a few basic German phrases is helpful. The currency used in Austria is the Euro, so make sure to have some cash or a credit card for your expenses.
Plan your Trip to Vorarlberg?
Best Events in Vorarlberg
- Bregenz Festival: The Bregenz Festival is a world-renowned cultural event held annually in summer. It features spectacular open-air opera performances on the floating stage of Lake Constance, attracting visitors from around the globe.
- Montafoner Resonanzen: Montafoner Resonanzen is a music festival that celebrates traditional and contemporary music. Held in various locations throughout Montafon, the festival showcases a diverse range of genres and performances.
- Schubertiade Schwarzenberg: Classical music enthusiasts should not miss the Schubertiade Schwarzenberg, a renowned festival dedicated to the works of composer Franz Schubert. It takes place in the picturesque village of Schwarzenberg and features world-class musicians and performances.
- Dornbirn International Puppet Theater Festival: This biennial festival showcases the art of puppetry with performances from national and international puppet theater companies. It’s a delightful event for families and those interested in this unique form of storytelling.
- Christmas Markets: During the holiday season, Vorarlberg comes alive with charming Christmas markets. The markets in Bregenz, Dornbirn, and Feldkirch offer a magical atmosphere with twinkling lights, festive decorations,and stalls selling local crafts, mulled wine, and delicious treats. Immerse yourself in the festive spirit and browse for unique gifts and souvenirs.
Vorarlberg, Austria, is a captivating destination that offers a wealth of experiences for travelers. Whether you’re an outdoor enthusiast, a culture lover, or a foodie, Vorarlberg has something to offer everyone. From its breathtaking Alpine landscapes and charming towns to its vibrant cultural scene and delicious cuisine, the region provides a truly authentic Austrian experience.
Plan your trip to Vorarlberg, consider the best time to visit, and explore the top attractions and activities. Immerse yourself in the natural beauty, indulge in local flavors, and immerse yourself in the rich heritage and traditions of the region. Whether you’re seeking adventure, relaxation, or cultural immersion, Vorarlberg is sure to leave a lasting impression.
So pack your bags, embark on a journey to Vorarlberg, and get ready to create memories that will last a lifetime. Discover the hidden gems, embrace the beauty of the mountains, and immerse yourself in the warm hospitality of this remarkable region. Vorarlberg is waiting to welcome you with open arms and unveil its treasures. Start planning your Vorarlberg adventure today!