Last Updated on May 17, 2023 by gregor
Introduction: Welcome to Upper Austria, a hidden gem nestled in the heart of Austria. This captivating region offers a blend of natural beauty, cultural heritage, and exhilarating experiences that will leave you with lasting memories. As a passionate travel blogger, I am excited to guide you through the best things to do, top attractions, must-visit cities, and more in Upper Austria. So, fasten your seatbelts, and let’s embark on an unforgettable journey!
Why Visit Upper Austria in Austria?
- Immerse yourself in breathtaking landscapes of majestic mountains, crystal-clear lakes, and lush green valleys.
- Explore charming towns and villages, where tradition and modernity effortlessly intertwine.
- Experience a wealth of cultural treasures, including museums, art galleries, and historical sites.
- Savor the mouthwatering delights of Upper Austrian cuisine, renowned for its hearty flavors and farm-to-table freshness.
- Engage in a variety of outdoor activities, from hiking and biking to skiing and water sports.
- Discover the warm hospitality and authentic charm of the local people, making your visit truly unforgettable.
Plan your Trip to Upper Austria?
Where is Upper Austria?
Upper Austria is located in the northern part of Austria, bordering Germany and the Czech Republic. Situated in the Alpine region, it offers a picturesque setting that showcases the country’s natural beauty.
Here is a Google MAP with the Best Things to do in Upper Austria
When is the Best Time to Visit Upper Austria in Austria?
Upper Austria boasts distinct seasons, each with its own unique charm. The best time to visit depends on your preferences:
- Spring (April to June): Witness nature come alive as flowers bloom, and the countryside is draped in vibrant colors.
- Summer (July to August): Enjoy pleasant temperatures, perfect for outdoor activities and exploring the lakes and mountains.
- Autumn (September to November): Experience breathtaking foliage and enjoy a more tranquil atmosphere.
- Winter (December to February): Embrace the enchanting winter wonderland, with opportunities for skiing, snowboarding, and festive celebrations.
How to Get to Upper Austria in Austria?
Upper Austria is easily accessible by various means of transportation:
- By Air: Fly into Linz Airport (LNZ), which offers domestic and international connections. From there, you can reach different parts of Upper Austria by train or rental car.
- By Train: The rail network in Austria is efficient and well-connected. Major cities such as Linz and Wels have train stations that provide convenient access to the region.
- By Car: If you prefer a road trip, Upper Austria is easily reachable by car. The well-maintained road network allows for a scenic drive through the countryside.
- 🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
- ✈️ Buy the cheapest flight tickets with WayAway
- 🚂 🚌 ✈️ Best prices for Train, Buses, Cars, Ferries, and flights Omio
Please check Omio to search for the Best Travel to Upper Austria
20 Best Things to Do in Upper Austria – Best Destinations and Attractions
Explore the Historic Old Town of Linz:
- Wander through charming cobblestone streets lined with colorful buildings.
- Visit Linz Castle for panoramic views of the city and the Danube River.
- Explore the beautiful St. Mary’s Cathedral, an architectural gem.
- Discover the vibrant arts scene with numerous galleries and museums.
- Enjoy local cuisine at cozy restaurants and cafes.
- BEST THINGS TO DO IN LINZ, AUSTRIA TOP LINZ ATTRACTIONS
Visit the Ars Electronica Center in Linz:
- Immerse yourself in interactive exhibits showcasing the intersection of art, technology, and science.
- Experience virtual reality installations and cutting-edge digital art.
- Attend workshops and lectures on innovative topics.
- Enjoy the breathtaking views from the rooftop terrace.
- Explore the Deep Space 8K, a state-of-the-art multimedia experience.
Take a Boat Ride on Lake Hallstatt:
- Cruise along the tranquil waters surrounded by majestic mountains.
- Admire the iconic village of Hallstatt from a unique perspective.
- Learn about the history and folklore of the region from knowledgeable guides.
- Capture postcard-perfect photos of the lake and its surroundings.
- Relax and soak in the peaceful ambiance of this UNESCO World Heritage site.
- BEST ACTIVITIES AND ATTRACTIONS IN HALLSTATT FOR (TOURISTS)
Explore the Hallstatt Salt Mine:
- Take a guided tour deep into the underground world of salt mining.
- Ride a miner’s train and slide down a thrilling miners’ slide.
- Learn about the history and significance of salt mining in the region.
- Marvel at the underground salt lake and its shimmering reflections.
- Discover the ancient artifacts and tools used by miners throughout the centuries.
- TOP 10 BEST HALLSTATT PRIVATE TOURS (IN 2023)
- TOP 10 THINGS TO DO IN HALLSTATT IN 2023, AUSTRIA
Hike in the Salzkammergut:
- Choose from a variety of scenic hiking trails suitable for all levels.
- Enjoy panoramic views of lakes, mountains, and picturesque villages.
- Breathe in the fresh alpine air and immerse yourself in nature.
- Encounter stunning waterfalls, lush meadows, and pristine forests.
- Challenge yourself with more strenuous hikes to mountain peaks.
Visit the St. Florian Monastery:
- Admire the stunning Baroque architecture of the monastery.
- Explore the grand library with its extensive collection of books.
- Attend a classical music concert in the magnificent Bruckner Organ Hall.
- Learn about the life and work of composer Anton Bruckner.
- Enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of the monastery gardens.
Relax at the EurothermenResort Bad Schallerbach:
- Unwind in the soothing thermal baths with various pools and wellness areas.
- Indulge in rejuvenating spa treatments and massages.
- Enjoy the saunas, steam rooms, and relaxation zones.
- Try the unique floating pool experience for ultimate relaxation.
- Delight in healthy refreshments at the spa’s restaurants and cafes.
Explore the Grünberg Adventure World in Gmunden:
- Take a cable car ride to the top of Grünberg mountain for panoramic views.
- Enjoy thrilling summer tobogganing down the mountain slopes.
- Challenge yourself on the high-rope courses and ziplines.
- Have a picnic in the scenic mountain setting surrounded by nature.
- Visit the wildlife park to observe and learn about local animals.
Discover the Mauthausen Memorial:
- Reflect on the history of the Mauthausen concentration camp at the memorial site.
- Explore the museum exhibitions, which provide insights into the camp’s atrocities.
- Walk through the former camp grounds and visit the preserved barracks.
- Attend guided tours and listen to survivor testimonies.
- Pay respects at the memorial’s commemorative sites and memorials.
Visit the Linz Zoo:
- Encounter a diverse range of animals from around the world.
- Learn about wildlife conservation efforts through educational exhibits.
- Attend animal feeding sessions and interactive presentations.
- Enjoy family-friendly activities such as playgrounds and picnic areas.
- Explore the botanical gardens within the zoo complex.
Take a Scenic Drive along the Danube Valley:
- Drive along the picturesque Danube River, admiring the scenic landscapes.
- Stop at charming villages along the way and explore their attractions.
- Visit the medieval castle ruins of Aggstein and enjoy the panoramic views.
- Take a leisurely break at riverside cafes and enjoy local delicacies.
- Capture memorable photos of the river, vineyards, and charming towns.
Explore the Traunsee Region:
- Visit the enchanting town of Gmunden on the shores of Lake Traunsee.
- Take a boat ride on the crystal-clear lake and enjoy the mountain views.
- Explore the historic Castle Orth and its beautiful gardens.
- Hike or bike along the lakeside trails for stunning vistas.
- Taste regional culinary specialties at lakeside restaurants and cafes.
Discover the Admont Abbey Library:
- Marvel at the grandeur of the Admont Abbey Library, one of the largest monastic libraries in the world.
- Admire the intricate Baroque architecture and ceiling frescoes.
- Browse the extensive collection of rare books, manuscripts, and artworks.
- Take a guided tour to learn about the library’s history and significance.
- Enjoy the serene atmosphere of the abbey gardens.
Attend a Performance at the Linz Opera House:
- Immerse yourself in the world of opera, ballet, and classical music.
- Experience captivating performances by renowned artists.
- Admire the stunning architecture and elegant interiors of the opera house.
- Book tickets in advance for popular shows and events.
- Indulge in pre-show dining at the opera house’s restaurant.
Explore the Enns River Cycling Path:
- Rent a bike and cycle along the scenic Enns River.
- Enjoy a leisurely ride through picturesque landscapes and charming towns.
- Stop at riverside cafes and restaurants for refreshments.
- Discover historic sites and cultural attractions along the cycling route.
- Experience the beauty of nature and the soothing sounds of the flowing river.
Visit the Schmiding Zoo and Wildlife Park:
- Observe a wide variety of animal species in spacious habitats.
- Learn about wildlife conservation and environmental education initiatives.
- Attend exciting animal shows and presentations.
- Explore the adventure playgrounds and petting zoo for children.
- Enjoy picnics and leisurely walks through the park’s beautiful surroundings.
Go Skiing in the Dachstein West Ski Resort:
- Hit the slopes and enjoy winter sports activities.
- Experience skiing and snowboarding on a range of well-groomed runs.
- Take ski lessons or improve your skills with professional instructors.
- Enjoy breathtaking mountain views and fresh alpine air.
- Relax and unwind in cozy mountain huts with delicious Austrian cuisine.
Discover the World Heritage Museum in Hallstatt:
- Learn about the rich history and cultural heritage of Hallstatt.
- Explore archaeological finds that date back thousands of years.
- Admire traditional costumes, artifacts, and historical objects.
- Gain insights into the region’s salt mining industry.
- Enjoy panoramic views of Hallstatt from the museum’s terrace.
Explore the Linz Botanical Garden:
- Wander through lush gardens featuring a diverse collection of plants.
- Discover a wide variety of flowers, trees, and exotic species.
- Relax in the serene atmosphere of the Japanese garden.
- Attend special events and exhibitions showcasing botanical wonders.
- Enjoy picnics and leisurely walks in this oasis of tranquility.
Attend the St. Florianer Brucknertage:
- Immerse yourself in the music of renowned composer Anton Bruckner.
- Attend classical music concerts and performances by talented musicians.
- Experience the acoustics of the Bruckner Organ in St. Florian Monastery.
- Enjoy the captivating ambiance of the historic monastery during the festival.
- Appreciate the fusion of music, history, and spirituality in this unique setting.
I always use GetYourGuide to book activities and attractions while traveling through Europe. You can search through over 12 Linz / Upper Austria attractions on their website here 👇
Best Attractions in Upper Austria:
- Linz Castle: Explore this imposing castle that overlooks the city of Linz, offering panoramic views and a glimpse into the past.
- Hallstatt: Marvel at the postcard-perfect beauty of this lakeside village, known for its charming houses, alpine scenery, and the Hallstatt Skywalk.
- St. Florian Monastery: Visit this grand monastery with its stunning architecture, Baroque library, and tranquil gardens.
- Gmunden: Enjoy the scenic beauty of Lake Traunsee and visit the iconic Gmunden Castle and the Seeschloss Ort, a fairytale-like castle on a small island.
- Mauthausen Memorial: Pay respects at this poignant memorial site that commemorates the victims of the Mauthausen concentration camp.
Best Upper Austria Tours:
- Linz City Tour: Join a guided tour of Linz to discover its history, landmarks, and vibrant cultural scene.
- Hallstatt Day Trip: Take a guided excursion to Hallstatt to explore its picturesque streets, visit the salt mines, and enjoy a boat ride on the lake.
- Salzkammergut Lakes Tour: Embark on a scenic tour of the stunning Salzkammergut region, visiting Hallstatt, Lake Wolfgang, and other beautiful lakes.
- Sound of Music Tour: Experience the magic of the iconic film as you visit filming locations and learn about the history behind it.
Best Day Trips from Upper Austria:
- Vienna: Take a day trip to the vibrant capital city of Austria, known for its rich history, palaces, and cultural attractions.
- Salzburg: Explore the birthplace of Mozart and visit its charming old town, Salzburg Fortress, and Mirabell Palace.
- Český Krumlov: Cross the border into the Czech Republic and visit this UNESCO-listed town, famous for its well-preserved medieval architecture.
- Cesky Raj (Bohemian Paradise): Discover the natural beauty of this stunning region in the Czech Republic, with its rock formations, castles, and hiking trails.
Most Popular Things to Do in Upper Austria with Kids:
- Zoo Schmiding: Spend a fun-filled day at this Wildlife Park, where kids can observe a variety of animals up close and even interact with some of them.
- Aquapulco Water Park: Beat the summer heat and make a splash at this thrilling water park, featuring exciting slides, wave pools, and relaxation areas for the whole family to enjoy.
- Adventure Park Wurbauerkogel: Challenge yourselves with thrilling outdoor activities such as high ropes courses, zip lines, and climbing walls, providing endless fun and adventure for kids of all ages.
- Ars Electronica Center: Spark your kids’ curiosity at this interactive museum in Linz, where they can explore the fascinating world of technology, science, and art through hands-on exhibits and workshops.
What Can You Do in Upper Austria for Free?
- Explore the Nature Trails: Upper Austria offers a plethora of scenic hiking and biking trails that are free to access. Immerse yourself in the beauty of nature, breathe in the fresh mountain air, and enjoy the breathtaking views.
- Visit Free Museums and Galleries: Many museums and galleries in Upper Austria offer free admission on certain days or have permanent exhibitions that can be visited without charge. Take advantage of these opportunities to delve into the region’s rich cultural heritage.
- Enjoy Public Parks and Gardens: Take a leisurely stroll or have a picnic in the numerous public parks and gardens scattered throughout Upper Austria. Relax amidst beautiful landscapes, admire colorful flowers, and soak up the tranquil atmosphere.
- Attend Festivals and Events: Throughout the year, Upper Austria hosts a variety of festivals and events that are free to attend. From music concerts and cultural celebrations to food markets and street performances, there’s always something happening that showcases the region’s vibrant spirit.
Best Upper Austria Sightseeing Tours:
- Linz City Sightseeing Tour: Discover the highlights of Linz, including its historic sites, modern architecture, and cultural landmarks, on a guided sightseeing tour.
- Danube River Cruise: Embark on a relaxing boat tour along the Danube River, offering panoramic views of the picturesque landscapes and charming towns along the way.
- Salzkammergut Scenic Drive: Take a scenic drive through the enchanting Salzkammergut region, passing by stunning lakes, charming villages, and breathtaking mountain vistas.
- Mauthausen Concentration Camp Memorial Tour: Gain a deeper understanding of history with a guided tour of the Mauthausen Memorial, providing insights into the dark days of World War II.
Is Upper Austria Worth Visiting?
Absolutely! Upper Austria offers a diverse range of attractions and experiences that make it well worth a visit. Whether you are a nature lover, history enthusiast, adventure seeker, or simply someone who appreciates authentic cultural experiences, Upper Austria has something to offer everyone. The region’s stunning landscapes, rich history, warm hospitality, and array of activities ensure a memorable and rewarding visit.
What is Upper Austria Famous For?
Upper Austria is famous for several things:
- Linz: The capital city of Upper Austria, Linz is renowned for its vibrant cultural scene, modern architecture, and being a UNESCO City of Media Arts.
- Hallstatt: This picturesque village on the shores of Lake Hallstatt is famous worldwide for its stunning beauty, charming Alpine architecture, and its designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Lakes and Mountains: Upper Austria is known for its breathtaking lakes, such as Traunsee and Wolfgangsee, and its majestic mountains, including the Dachstein and Kalkalpen ranges.
- Mauthausen Memorial: The Mauthausen Concentration Camp Memorial stands as a poignant reminder of the atrocities committed during World War II and serves as a symbol of remembrance and education.
How Do You Spend a Day in Upper Austria?
To make the most of a day in Upper Austria, here’s a suggested itinerary:
Morning: Start your day in Linz, the vibrant capital city of Upper Austria. Explore the historic Old Town, strolling along the charming streets and admiring the mix of medieval and modern architecture. Don’t miss a visit to Linz Castle, where you can enjoy panoramic views of the city and learn about its rich history. Grab a cup of coffee at a local café and indulge in a traditional Linzer Torte, a delicious pastry that the city is famous for.
Afternoon: Head to the Salzkammergut region, known for its stunning lakes and scenic landscapes. Visit the enchanting village of Hallstatt, nestled on the shores of Lake Hallstatt. Take a leisurely stroll through its narrow streets, lined with quaint houses, and enjoy the serene beauty of the lake. You can also visit the Hallstatt Skywalk for panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and the Hallstatt Bone House for a unique glimpse into local burial customs.
Evening: Make your way to Gmunden, a charming town situated on the shores of Lake Traunsee. Explore the picturesque lakeside promenade and admire the stunning views. Visit Gmunden Castle, which houses a museum showcasing the town’s history and art. Don’t miss the opportunity to take a boat ride on Lake Traunsee, where you can relax and enjoy the breathtaking scenery as the sun sets over the mountains.
How Many Days in Upper Austria Is Enough?
The ideal duration for a visit to Upper Austria depends on your interests and the activities you wish to undertake. To fully experience the region’s highlights, a minimum of three to four days is recommended. This allows you to explore the main cities like Linz and Wels, visit the enchanting lakes of the Salzkammergut region, and have time for day trips to Hallstatt and other nearby attractions. However, if you have more time, you can extend your stay to a week or more to delve deeper into the region’s hidden gems and indulge in a wider range of outdoor activities.
Best Places for Shopping in Upper Austria:
- Linz Old Town: Explore the narrow streets and squares of Linz’s Old Town, where you’ll find an array of boutique shops, trendy fashion stores, and local artisan shops offering unique crafts and souvenirs.
- PlusCity Shopping Center: Located in Pasching near Linz, PlusCity is one of the largest shopping centers in Upper Austria. It houses a wide variety of international and local brands, as well as restaurants and entertainment options.
- Gmunden: In the charming town of Gmunden, you’ll find specialty shops selling handmade ceramics, traditional Austrian clothing, and local delicacies. Take a stroll through the town center and explore its charming shops.
- Wels: The historic town of Wels offers a mix of shopping experiences, from modern shopping malls to traditional markets. Explore the weekly farmers’ market or visit the Wels Shopping Center for a wide selection of shops and boutiques.
Famous Cities in Upper Austria:
- Linz: As the capital city of Upper Austria, Linz is a bustling hub of culture, art, and innovation. With its vibrant arts scene, modern architecture, and historical landmarks, it’s a city that seamlessly blends tradition and modernity.
- Wels: Known for its historic charm, Wels is the second-largest city in Upper Austria. It boasts impressive architecture, including Wels Castle, and offers a vibrant atmosphere with its bustling squares and lively events.
- Steyr: Situated on the banks of the Enns River, Steyr is a picturesque town with a rich history. It’s famous for its well-preserved medieval old town, including the iconic Bummerlhaus, and charming squares. Stroll through its narrow streets, visit the impressive Steyr Castle, and explore the various museums and galleries that showcase the town’s cultural heritage.
- Bad Ischl: Nestled in the heart of the Salzkammergut region, Bad Ischl is renowned for its historic significance and natural beauty. It was once the summer residence of the Austrian Emperor Franz Joseph I and is known for its elegant architecture, relaxing thermal baths, and scenic surroundings.
Is Upper Austria Better than Vienna?
Comparing Upper Austria to Vienna is like comparing apples to oranges. While Vienna is the bustling capital city of Austria, known for its grand palaces, rich cultural heritage, and vibrant music scene, Upper Austria offers a different kind of charm and appeal. Upper Austria is characterized by its breathtaking natural landscapes, picturesque lakes, and smaller, more intimate towns and cities.
Upper Austria provides an opportunity to escape the crowds and immerse yourself in the tranquility of nature. It offers a more relaxed and laid-back atmosphere, allowing you to explore charming villages, hike through stunning mountain ranges, and enjoy outdoor activities such as boating, skiing, and hiking.
Vienna, on the other hand, is a cultural hub with a wealth of historical and architectural marvels, world-class museums, and a vibrant culinary and nightlife scene. It’s a city that never sleeps, offering endless opportunities for entertainment, art, and exploration.
Ultimately, whether Upper Austria or Vienna is better for you depends on your personal preferences and interests. If you seek a mix of nature, outdoor adventures, and a more serene ambiance, Upper Austria may be the ideal choice. If you crave the grandeur of a capital city, with its rich history and diverse cultural offerings, Vienna will undoubtedly captivate you.
Is Upper Austria a Walkable City?
Upper Austria is not a single city but a region consisting of various towns and cities. While some of the smaller towns, such as Hallstatt and Gmunden, are walkable and can be easily explored on foot, larger cities like Linz and Wels may require the use of public transportation or taxis to navigate more efficiently.
In general, Upper Austria prioritizes pedestrian-friendly infrastructure, with well-maintained sidewalks, pedestrian zones, and designated walking paths in many areas. Exploring the historic centers of towns and cities on foot allows you to soak in the local ambiance, discover hidden gems, and appreciate the architecture and local culture.
🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
However, when planning your visit to Upper Austria, it’s advisable to check the specific transportation options available in each location and utilize public transportation or rental services for longer distances or when visiting attractions outside the city centers.
Getting Around Upper Austria:
- By Train: The train network in Upper Austria is well-developed and provides convenient connections between major cities and towns. The Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) offer reliable services, comfortable trains, and scenic routes that allow you to enjoy picturesque landscapes.
- By Bus: Buses are an efficient and cost-effective way to travel within Upper Austria, especially to reach smaller towns and rural areas. The regional bus services provide regular schedules and comprehensive coverage across the region.
- By Car: Renting a car gives you the freedom to explore Upper Austria at your own pace, especially if you plan to venture off the beaten path or visit remote areas. The road infrastructure is well-maintained, and driving allows for flexibility and easy access to different attractions.
- By Bike: Upper Austria is known for its extensive network of cycling paths, making it a popular destination for bike enthusiasts. You can rent bicycles locally and enjoy scenic rides through picturesque landscapes and along riverbanks.
🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
Please check Omio for Best travel in Upper Austria
Where to Stay in Upper Austria?
Upper Austria offers a range of accommodation options to suit every traveler’s preferences and budget. Here are some popular choices:
- Hotels: Upper Austria has a variety of hotels, ranging from luxurious five-star establishments to budget-friendly options. In cities like Linz and Wels, you’ll find a wide selection of well-appointed hotels offering comfortable rooms, excellent amenities, and convenient locations close to major attractions and transportation hubs. Many hotels also feature on-site restaurants, spa facilities, and helpful staff who can provide local recommendations and assistance.
- Guesthouses and Bed & Breakfasts: For a more intimate and charming experience, consider staying at a guesthouse or bed & breakfast. These accommodations often offer cozy rooms with personalized service and a warm, welcoming atmosphere. In smaller towns and rural areas, you’ll find guesthouses that allow you to immerse yourself in the local culture and enjoy the hospitality of the region.
- Holiday Apartments and Rentals: If you prefer more independence and the comforts of a home away from home, renting a holiday apartment or vacation home is an excellent choice. Upper Austria has a range of apartments and rentals available, giving you the freedom to have your own space, prepare your meals, and enjoy a more flexible itinerary.
🏨 Find the perfect accommodation in Upper Austria on Booking.com
Tips for planning a Trip to Upper Austria:
- Research and Plan Ahead: Before your trip, research the attractions, activities, and events that interest you the most. Make a list of must-visit places and create a rough itinerary to ensure you make the most of your time in Upper Austria.
- Consider the Season: Upper Austria experiences four distinct seasons, each offering different experiences and activities. Consider the season in which you’re planning to visit and pack accordingly. Whether you’re interested in winter sports, spring blooms, summer outdoor activities, or autumn foliage, each season has its own unique charm.
- Check Opening Hours and Reservations: Some attractions, especially museums, have specific opening hours and may require advance reservations. Check their websites or contact them directly to confirm opening times and any booking requirements to avoid disappointment.
- Embrace the Outdoors: Upper Austria is blessed with stunning natural landscapes, so make sure to spend ample time exploring the outdoors. Pack comfortable walking shoes, outdoor gear, and a camera to capture the breathtaking scenery.
- Try Local Cuisine: Upper Austria is known for its delicious culinary traditions. Don’t miss the opportunity to sample local dishes and specialties. From hearty comfort food to delectable pastries, the region’s gastronomy is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
Plan your Trip to Upper Austria?
Best Events in Upper Austria:
- Linz Pflasterspektakel: This annual street arts festival takes place in Linz, transforming the city center into a vibrant stage for performers from around the world. Enjoy mesmerizing street theater, circus acts, music, and interactive performances.
- Ars Electronica Festival: Considered one of the world’s premier media art events, the Ars Electronica Festival in Linz celebrates the intersection of art, technology, and society. Experience groundbreaking exhibitions, interactive installations, workshops, and thought-provoking lectures.
- Lake Festival in Gmunden: This popular summer festival takes place on Lake Traunsee, featuring a magical firework display reflecting on the water’s surface. Enjoy live music, food stalls, and a festive atmosphere.
- St. Florianer Brucknerfest: Held in the beautiful St. Florian Monastery near Linz, the Brucknerfest is a renowned classical music festival. Experience exceptional performances by renowned orchestras, chamber ensembles, and soloists, showcasing the works of renowned composer Anton Bruckner.
- Hallstatt Advent Market: Experience the enchantment of the holiday season at the Hallstatt Advent Market. This charming Christmas market takes place in the picturesque village of Hallstatt, offering a magical atmosphere with festive decorations, local crafts, delicious treats, and traditional music.
- Welser Volksfest: The Welser Volksfest is a lively folk festival held in Wels, featuring amusement rides, games, live music, and a variety of culinary delights. Join the locals in celebrating the region’s traditions and enjoy the festive atmosphere.
- Mauthausen Memorial Concert: Held at the Mauthausen Memorial, this annual concert pays tribute to the victims of the former concentration camp. It features powerful musical performances in a solemn and meaningful setting, honoring the memory of those who suffered during World War II.
These events provide a glimpse into the cultural, artistic, and historical fabric of Upper Austria. Attending one of these festivals or concerts during your visit will enhance your experience and create lasting memories.
I always use GetYourGuide to book activities and attractions while traveling through Europe. You can search through over 12 Linz / Upper Austria attractions on their website here 👇
Upper Austria offers a treasure trove of experiences for travelers seeking natural beauty, cultural immersion, and a touch of history. From exploring the vibrant cities to discovering the serene lakes and picturesque towns, there is something for everyone in this enchanting region of Austria.
Whether you’re captivated by the modern allure of Linz, intrigued by the timeless charm of Hallstatt, or enchanted by the natural wonders of the Salzkammergut region, Upper Austria promises to leave you with unforgettable moments and a deep appreciation for its authentic and diverse offerings.
So, pack your bags, embrace the spirit of adventure, and embark on a journey to discover the best things to do in Upper Austria. Let the stunning landscapes, rich culture, and warm hospitality of this remarkable region create cherished memories that will last a lifetime. Upper Austria awaits your exploration, ready to captivate your senses and offer a truly remarkable travel experience.