Last Updated on April 24, 2023 by gregor
In this blog post, we will guide you through the best things to do in Linz, Austria.
Welcome to Linz, a beautiful city in Austria located in the heart of Europe. Linz is the third-largest city in Austria and the Capital of Upper Austria. It is famous for its stunning architecture, rich culture, and beautiful Danube River.
Best things to do and See in Linz, Austria
Why visit Linz in Austria?
Linz is a city that has something for everyone. Whether you are interested in history, art, architecture, or nature, Linz has it all. Here are some reasons why you should visit Linz in Austria:
- Beautiful architecture: Linz is a city that is full of beautiful architecture. From the Old Town to the New Cathedral, Linz has many beautiful buildings that will leave you in awe.
- Rich culture: Linz is a city that is steeped in history and culture. From the Linz Castle to the Ars Electronica Center, Linz has many museums and cultural attractions that will give you a glimpse into the city’s rich past and present.
- Stunning natural surroundings: Linz is located on the banks of the Danube River, and there are many parks and green spaces in the city that are perfect for a relaxing stroll or picnic.
- Delicious cuisine: Austria is famous for its delicious cuisine, and Linz is no exception. From traditional Austrian dishes to international cuisine, you will find something to suit your taste buds in Linz.
When is the best time to visit Linz in Austria?
The best time to visit Linz in Austria is from May to September when the weather is warm and sunny. The summer months are also when the city is at its liveliest, with many festivals and events taking place.
How to get to Linz in Austria?
Linz is well-connected by air, rail, and road. The city has its airport, the Blue Danube Airport Linz, which is located about 20 minutes from the city center. The airport has regular flights to several European cities, including London, Berlin, and Vienna. Linz is also well-connected by train, and there are direct trains from Vienna and other major cities in Austria.
Plan your Trip to Linz?
What are the top tourist attractions in Linz, Austria? Best Places to Visit in Linz
There are many top attractions in Linz, Austria. Here are some of the must-see attractions:
Linz Old Town – Historic Center
The Old Town of Linz is a beautiful and historic part of the city. It is home to many medieval buildings, including the Old Town Hall and St. Martin’s Church.
I highly recommend taking a Private Guided Tour of the charming Old Town of Linz.
Private Guided Tour Highlights
- Fall in love with the historic Linz Old Town
- Explore the stunning streets and main square of Linz with a knowledgeable guide
- Enjoy lovely views of the Danube River at Castle Park
- Visit the most stunning churches – the Old Cathedral and the New Cathedral
- Learn about the history of Linz and Upper Austria on a visit to the Nordico Stadtmuseum and the Castle Museum
The Cathedral of the immaculate conception – Also known as the New Cathedral
The New Cathedral is one of the most impressive buildings in Linz. It is a stunning example of neo-gothic architecture and is well worth a visit. It is one of the largest Church in Austria
The Castle of Linz (Linz Castle)
The Linz Castle is a beautiful castle that is located on a hill overlooking the city. It is home to several museums and art galleries, including the Upper Austrian State Museum.
The Ars Electronica Center
The Ars Electronica Center is a must-visit attraction for anyone interested in science and technology. It is a museum that explores the intersection of art, science, and technology.
The Lentos Art Museum
The Lentos Art Museum is a modern art museum that is located on the banks of the Danube River. It is home to a fantastic collection of contemporary art.
Linz Botanical Garden
Linz Botanical Garden is a must-visit destination for nature lovers. Covering an area of 4 hectares, the garden features a diverse range of plants and botanical collections from all over the world. Visitors can explore the various greenhouses, outdoor areas, and themed gardens, including a Japanese Garden, a Mediterranean Garden, and a Rock Garden. The garden also offers guided tours, workshops, and educational programs for all ages. In addition, there are multiple events throughout the year, such as concerts, exhibitions, and plant sales. And not to be missed, the garden’s unique collection of carnivorous plants is a fascinating highlight for those interested in the plant kingdom. A visit to the Linz Botanical Garden is a tranquil and educational experience, perfect for a relaxing day out in nature.
Schlossmuseum Linz – Castle Museum Linz
Schlossmuseum Linz, also known as the Linz Castle Museum, is one of the top cultural attractions in Linz, Austria. The museum is housed in a historic castle that dates back to the 16th century, and it showcases a range of exhibits that highlight the history and culture of the region.
voestalpine Stahlwelt (steel world) in Linz presents a globally unique adventure world dedicated to steel. Austria’s largest industrial site invites you to discover the latest technologies for producing steel.
What are the best day trips from Linz?
There are many great day trips that you can take from Linz. Here are some of the best:
- Salzburg: Salzburg is a beautiful city that is located about two hours from Linz. It is famous for its stunning architecture and rich history.
- Vienna: Vienna is the capital of Austria and is located about two and a half hours from Linz. It is a beautiful city that is famous for its beautiful architecture, rich cultural heritage, and delicious cuisine.
- Hallstatt: Hallstatt is a beautiful village that is located about an hour and a half from Linz. It is famous for its picturesque setting and its well-preserved historical buildings.
- Cesky Krumlov: Cesky Krumlov is a beautiful town that is located across the border in the Czech Republic. It is famous for its well-preserved historic buildings and its beautiful location on the Vltava River.
🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
What are the most popular things to do in Linz with kids?
Linz is a great destination for families, and there are many things to do with kids. Here are some of the most popular things to do in Linz with kids:
- Visit the Linz Zoo: The Linz Zoo is a great place to take kids. It is home to over 600 animals from all over the world.
- Explore the Pöstlingbergbahn: The Pöstlingbergbahn is a funicular railway that takes you up to the top of Pöstlingberg Mountain. It offers stunning city views and is a great experience for kids.
- Visit the Botanical Garden: The Botanical Garden is a beautiful garden that is located on the campus of the University of Linz. It is home to over 10,000 plant species and is a great place for kids to explore.
- Explore the Grottenbahn: The Grottenbahn is a miniature railway that takes you on a journey through a magical world of fairies and gnomes. It is a great experience for kids.
Highly recommend taking the FAMILY FRIENDLY LINZ HISTORICAL WALKING TOUR
- Make history fun on a family-friendly tour of Linz with an experienced guide
- Enjoy a tour program adapted to children, with interesting stories, tasks, and riddles
- Play on an old-school railway carriage at the Pöstlingbergbahn Museum
- See the top attractions in the Old Town and make unforgettable memories
- Discover Austrian history and culture at the Castle Museum
What can you do in Linz for free?
Linz has many things to do that are completely free. Here are some of the best:
- Take a stroll along the Danube River: The Danube River is one of the most beautiful parts of Linz, and it is completely free to explore.
- Visit the St. Mary’s Cathedral: St. Mary’s Cathedral is a beautiful cathedral that is free to enter.
- Explore the Old Town: The Old Town of Linz is a beautiful and historic part of the city, and it is free to explore.
- Visit the Linz City Museum: The Linz City Museum is free to enter, and it is a great place to learn about the history of the city.
What are the best Linz sightseeing tours?
There are many great sightseeing tours that you can take in Linz. Here are some of the best:
- The Linz City Tour: The Linz City Tour is a guided walking tour that takes you through the historic Old Town of Linz.
- MORE INFORMATION AND BOOK NOW ONLINE (via GetYourGuide)
- The Danube River Cruise: The Danube River Cruise is a great way to see the city from a different perspective. It takes you along the Danube River, offering stunning views of the city.
- MORE INFORMATION AND BOOK ONLINE (via GetYourGuide)
- The Linz Private Guided Cycling Tour: The Linz Cycling Tour is a fun way to explore the city. It takes you to all the top attractions, and you get to ride on a Segway.
- MORE INFORMATION AND BOOK ONLINE (via GetYourGuide)
Is Linz worth visiting?
Absolutely! Linz is a beautiful city that has something for everyone. Whether you are interested in history, art, architecture, or nature, Linz has it all. The city has a rich cultural heritage and is home to many museums and galleries. It is also a great place to explore the outdoors, with many parks and green spaces in the city.
What is Linz famous for?
Linz is famous for its beautiful architecture, rich cultural heritage, and stunning natural surroundings. The city is also known for its delicious cuisine, which includes traditional Austrian dishes as well as international cuisine.
How do you spend a day in Linz?
If you only have one day in Linz, here is how you can make the most of your time:
Start your day by exploring the Old Town. of Linz
Take a walking tour to see the historic buildings and learn about the city’s history.
Visit the Linz Castle Museum. This museum is housed in a beautiful castle and is home to a collection of art and artifacts from the city’s history.
Take a break for lunch and try some traditional Austrian cuisine. There are many great restaurants in Linz that serve local dishes. After lunch, head to the Danube River and take a river cruise. This is a great way to see the city from a different perspective and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
In the evening, head to the Ars Electronica Center. This museum is dedicated to art, technology, and science, and is a great place to learn and explore.
How many days in Linz is enough?
To see all that Linz has to offer, we recommend spending at least two or three days in the city. This will give you enough time to explore the top attractions, take day trips, and enjoy some of the delicious local cuisines.
What are the best places for shopping in Linz?
Linz has many great places to shop, from high-end boutiques to local markets. Here are some of the best places for shopping in Linz:
- Landstraße: Landstraße is the main shopping street in Linz, and it is home to many high-end boutiques and department stores.
- Plus City: Plus City is a large shopping center that is located just outside of Linz. It is home to over 200 shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues.
- Südbahnhofmarkt: Südbahnhofmarkt is a local market that is held every Saturday. It is a great place to find fresh produce, handmade crafts, and local delicacies.
What is the famous street in Linz?
The most famous street in Linz is Landstraße. This is the main shopping street in the city, and it is lined with beautiful historic buildings, high-end boutiques, and department stores.
Is Linz better than Salzburg?
Salzburg and Linz are both beautiful cities, and each has its own unique charm. Salzburg is famous for its stunning architecture, rich cultural heritage, and association with Mozart. Linz, on the other hand, is a more modern city that is known for its beautiful natural surroundings, rich cultural heritage, and delicious cuisine. Ultimately, which city is better depends on your personal preferences.
Is Linz a walkable city?
Yes, Linz is a very walkable city. The Old Town and many of the top attractions are located within walking distance of each other. There are also many parks and green spaces in the city that are great for walking and exploring.
Getting around Linz
Linz has a good public transportation system that includes buses, trams, and trains. The city also has a bike-sharing program that is a great way to explore the city. If you prefer to drive, there are many car rental companies in the city.
🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
Which is better Linz or Vienna?
Linz and Vienna are both beautiful cities, but they are very different. Vienna is a larger city that is known for its stunning architecture, rich cultural heritage, and association with classical music. Linz, on the other hand, is a smaller city that is known for its beautiful natural surroundings, rich cultural heritage, and delicious cuisine. Ultimately, which city is better depends on your personal preferences.
Where to stay in Linz?
Linz has many great hotels and accommodations to choose from. Some of the best areas to stay in include the Old Town, the Danube River, and the city center. Some of the top hotels in Linz include the Hotel Schwarzer Bär, the Austria Classic Hotel Wolf
Tips for Planning Your Trip to Linz:
- Book your accommodations in advance. Linz is a popular destination, and hotels can fill up quickly, especially during peak travel seasons.
- Check the weather forecast before you go. Linz has a mild climate, but it can get cold and rainy during the winter months.
- Plan your itinerary ahead of time. There are many great things to see and do in Linz, and having a plan will help you make the most of your time.
- Purchase a Linz Card. This card offers discounts on many of the city’s top attractions and includes free public transportation.
- Learn some basic German phrases. While many people in Linz speak English, it’s always helpful to know a few basic phrases when traveling to a foreign country.
In conclusion, Linz is a beautiful and charming city that is well worth a visit. From its rich cultural heritage and delicious cuisine to its stunning natural surroundings and top attractions, there is something for everyone in Linz. Whether you’re traveling solo, with a partner, or with your family, you’re sure to have an unforgettable experience in this charming Austrian city. So, what are you waiting for? Start planning your trip to Linz today!
Additional Tips for Visiting Linz:
- Take advantage of the free Wi-Fi. Many of the public spaces in Linz offer free Wi-Fi, which is a great way to stay connected while you’re on the go.
- Pack comfortable walking shoes. Linz is a walkable city, and you’ll likely be doing a lot of walking as you explore the city’s top attractions.
- Try the local cuisine. Linz is known for its delicious food, including traditional dishes like schnitzel, strudel, and goulash.
- Visit during one of the city’s many festivals. Linz is home to a number of annual festivals and events, including the Linz Fest, which takes place in June and features live music, food, and entertainment.
- Take a day trip to nearby attractions. Linz is located in a beautiful part of Austria, and there are many great day trips you can take from the city, including a visit to the nearby town of Hallstatt, which is known for its picturesque lake and stunning mountain scenery.
- Don’t forget your camera. Linz is a photogenic city, and you’ll want to capture all of its beautiful sights and scenery.
Overall, visiting Linz is a great way to experience the beauty and charm of Austria. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, or outdoor adventure, there is something for everyone in this vibrant and welcoming city. So why not start planning your trip to Linz today?
Plan your Trip to Linz?