Last Updated on January 28, 2023 by gregor
Vienna, the capital of Austria, is a popular destination for tourists from all over the world. However, many visitors to Vienna often miss out on one of the most beautiful and picturesque villages in Austria: Hallstatt. Located just a few hours away from Vienna, Hallstatt is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that is known for its stunning alpine scenery, traditional architecture, and rich history.
If you’re planning a trip to Vienna, we highly recommend taking a day trip to Hallstatt. In this guide, we’ll show you how to get to Hallstatt from Vienna, what to see and do while you’re there, and where to eat and stay overnight.
Day trip from Vienna to Hallstatt – See Hallstatt in one Day
Get to Hallstatt from Vienna
The easiest way to get to Hallstatt from Vienna is by train. (Wien Hauptbahnhof)
Taking the train is undoubtedly the most relaxing and efficient way to go from Vienna to Hallstatt. There are multiple trains that leave from Vienna Central Station.
The journey takes around 3 hours and 30 minutes and includes a transfer to the city of Attnang-Puchheim. Once you arrive in Hallstatt, the village is a short walk from the train station.
It’s important to book tickets in advance, particularly in Western & Central Europe, if you want to secure a good price and seat. The prices steadily increase the closer you get to departure and if you wait until a few days before leaving, you’re unlikely to be able to secure a good fare. Click here to browse train schedules.
Click here to browse the train schedules
You can easily buy it from any ticket vending machine. Just change the language to English, and touch the button top-right which surprisingly displays
Alternatively, you can take a bus from Vienna to Hallstatt.
Taking the train from Vienna to Hallstatt is the best option, another affordable option for travelers is to take the bus.
Busses leave and arrive in different parts of Vienna & Hallstatt, so you can plan your journey depending on where you’re staying in each city. The journey time is approximately 4.5 hours. Click here to browse bus schedules for this route.
The bus journey takes around 4 hours and 30 minutes and also includes a transfer to the city of Attnang-Puchheim.
Once you arrive in Hallstatt, you can explore the village on foot and take in the traditional architecture and beautiful mountain views. Some of the must-see sights include the Hallstatt Salt Mines, the Hallstatt Skywalk, the Hallstatt Museum, and the Hallstatt Cemetery.
What to Do in Hallstatt, Austria
Hallstatt is a small village, so you can easily explore it on foot. As you walk around, you’ll be able to admire the traditional Austrian architecture and the stunning alpine scenery. Some of the must-see sights in Hallstatt include:
- The Hallstatt Salt Mines:
- The salt mines in Hallstatt are one of the oldest in the world and have been in operation for over 7,000 years. Visitors can take a tour of the mines and learn about the history of salt production in the area.
- The Hallstatt Skywalk:
- The Hallstatt Skywalk is a viewing platform that offers panoramic views of the village and the surrounding mountains. The skywalk is located at the top of the mountain and can be reached by cable car or by foot.
- The Hallstatt Museum:
- The Hallstatt Museum is located in the center of the village and is dedicated to the history and culture of Hallstatt. The museum has a collection of artifacts and exhibits that tell the story of the village and its inhabitants.
- The Hallstatt Cemetery: The Hallstatt Cemetery is located on the hillside above the village and is known for its beautiful views and unique graves. The cemetery is also a popular spot for photography.
A complete Guide to What to do in Hallstatt please have a look at this Blog Post.
Where to Eat and Stay in Hallstatt
Hallstatt is a small village, so there are only a few options for food and accommodation. However, there are still plenty of great places to eat and stay overnight. Some of our top recommendations include:
- Gasthof Simony: Gasthof Simony is a traditional Austrian guesthouse that serves delicious local cuisine. The guesthouse also has a terrace with beautiful views of the village and the surrounding mountains.
- Hotel Hallstatt: Hotel Hallstatt is a modern hotel that offers comfortable rooms and great views of the village and the lake. The hotel also has a restaurant that serves traditional Austrian cuisine.
- Pension Gosaumühle: Pension Gosaumühle is a family-run guesthouse that offers comfortable rooms and a cozy atmosphere. The guesthouse is located on the outskirts of the village and has beautiful views of the surrounding mountains.
Hallstatt is a beautiful and picturesque village that is located just a few hours away from Vienna.
This small village offers visitors a chance to experience traditional Austrian culture, stunning alpine scenery, and rich history. A day trip to Hallstatt is a must-do for anyone visiting Vienna, and it’s easy to get to by train or bus.
So, if you’re planning a trip to Vienna, be sure to include a day trip to Hallstatt in your itinerary. This picturesque village is a hidden gem that will leave you with unforgettable memories and stunning photographs.
Best Time to visit Hallstatt
The best month to visit Hallstatt are April, May, and June. July and August are very busy so you want to avoid the crowds. In winter the best time is January to March to enjoy the snow.