Last Updated on July 20, 2023 by gregor
Welcome to Austria the land of enchanting landscapes rich history, and romantic destinations that will leave you and your partner breathless. If you’re looking for the perfect getaway with your loved one look no further. In this article, We Will unveil the 20 most romantic places in Austria for couples. From picturesque towns to stunning natural wonders, this guide will help you plan an unforgettable romantic journey through Austria.
Austria is renowned for its idyllic cruises and boat tours that offer an intimate and captivating experience. Imagine sailing along crystal-clear lakes surrounded by majestic mountains and lush greenery. These cruises and boat tours are the epitome of romance providing an opportunity for couples to relax, unwind, and create everlasting memories together.
One of the top romantic destinations in Austria is Lake Wolfgang. Nestled in the heart of the Salzkammergut region, this tranquil lake is surrounded by charming villages and breathtaking scenery. Hop on a boat tour and let the gentle waves carry you as you soak in the picturesque views of the lake and its surroundings. Don’t forget to visit the romantic Schafberg mountain where you can enjoy a panoramic view of the entire region.
Another must-visit destination is the Danube River Europe’s second-longest river. Take a romantic Danube River cruise and be mesmerized by the beauty of Austria’s landscapes. As you glide along the river You will pass by vineyards, castles and charming riverside towns. The Wachau Valley a UNESCO World Heritage site is a highlight of this journey with its terraced vineyards and medieval villages like Dürnstein.
For a unique romantic experience head to the picturesque village of Hallstatt. Known as the “Pearl of Austria,” Hallstatt boasts stunning alpine scenery and a serene lake that reflects the charming houses and mountains. Embark on a romantic boat ride on Lake Hallstatt and revel in the tranquility of this UNESCO World Heritage site.
Austria offers endless opportunities for couples seeking a romantic escape. Whether you’re exploring the historical streets of Vienna taking a leisurely stroll through the romantic gardens of Schönbrunn Palace, or immersing yourselves in the magical atmosphere of Salzburg You will find romance at every turn.
Join us as we embark on a journey through Austria’s most enchanting destinations. In the upcoming sections, we’ll delve deeper into each romantic place providing you with valuable tips and insider recommendations. Get ready to fall in love all over again in the 20 most romantic places in Austria for couples. Let’s make your dream romantic getaway a reality.
Salzburg known as the birthplace of Mozart offers a captivating blend of history and natural beauty. Explore its charming Historic Old Town with its narrow streets and picturesque squares. Don’t miss the iconic Mirabell Palace and Gardens where you can stroll hand-in-hand amidst colorful flowers and elegant sculptures. For a breathtaking view of the city, visit the Hohensalzburg Fortress perched atop a hill.
Vienna the capital city of Austria exudes a timeless elegance that is perfect for a romantic getaway. Lose yourself in the grandeur of Schönbrunn Palace a UNESCO World Heritage site and immerse yourself in the opulence of its gardens and interiors. Take a leisurely walk around St. Stephen’s Cathedral, a magnificent Gothic masterpiece. Another must-visit is the Belvedere Palace housing an impressive collection of art and offers splendid views of the city.
Nestled amidst the Austrian Alps the idyllic village of Hallstatt will steal your heart with its serene beauty. Take a boat ride on Hallstatt Lake, surrounded by towering mountains and adorned with charming lakeside houses. Explore the mystical Dachstein Ice Cave a natural wonder filled with breathtaking ice formations. For a mesmerizing view of the village and the surrounding landscape visit the Hallstatt Skywalk.
Innsbruck the capital of the Tyrol region is a romantic destination that blends alpine charm with urban flair. Admire the iconic Golden Roof an ornate balcony that dates back to the 15th century. Explore the historic Ambras Castle, known for its art collections and beautiful gardens. If you’re up for an adventure, head to the Nordkette Mountain Range where you can enjoy panoramic views and engage in outdoor activities.
The Wachau Valley a UNESCO World Heritage site is a scenic region renowned for its vineyards, castles and picturesque landscapes. Visit the majestic Melk Abbey a stunning Baroque monastery overlooking the Danube River. Explore the charming village of Dürnstein and marvel at the ruins of Dürnstein Castle. Indulge in a wine-tasting experience in the Wachau Vineyards where you can savor exquisite wines produced in the region.
Austria is a land of captivating beauty and rich cultural heritage offering couples a plethora of romantic experiences. Whether you choose to wander through historic towns immerse yourselves in the splendor of palaces or embrace the natural wonders of the Alps Austria has something special for every couple seeking a romantic escape.
Graz, the second-largest city in Austria, is a hidden gem that offers a unique blend of old-world charm and modern vibrancy. Take a romantic stroll through the historic Old Town, with its cobblestone streets and medieval architecture. Don’t miss the iconic Clock Tower, which offers panoramic views of the city. Visit the stunning Eggenberg Palace, surrounded by beautiful gardens and boasting intricate Baroque interiors.
Zell am See Situated on the shores of Lake Zell and surrounded by majestic mountains, Zell am See is a picturesque destination that promises romance at every turn. Enjoy a leisurely boat ride on Lake Zell, soaking in the breathtaking views and savoring the tranquility. Take a cable car ride to the top of Schmittenhöhe Mountain for panoramic vistas of the Alps. And if you’re visiting during winter, indulge in some skiing or snowboarding in the nearby Kitzsteinhorn Glacier.
Bregenz located on the shores of Lake Constance, is a captivating blend of natural beauty, cultural richness, and a thriving arts scene. Explore the historic Bregenz Old Town, with its charming streets and quaint buildings. Don’t miss the iconic Bregenz Festival, held annually on a floating stage in the lake, offering captivating opera performances. Take a boat trip on Lake Constance and marvel at the scenic landscapes and surrounding vineyards.
Klagenfurt the capital of the Carinthia region, is a city that exudes romance and charm. Take a romantic stroll through the Neuer Platz, a picturesque square adorned with beautiful Renaissance buildings. Visit the stunning Lindwurm Fountain, a symbol of the city, and explore the nearby Landhaus, an impressive Renaissance palace. Don’t forget to spend some time at the serene Wörthersee Lake, where you can relax on its pristine shores or take a boat trip.
The Salzkammergut region is a fairy-tale landscape of emerald lakes, rolling hills, and charming villages. Discover the beauty of Lake Wolfgang, where you can take a romantic boat ride or hike along its shores. Explore the village of Hallstatt, known for its postcard-perfect beauty and ancient salt mines. For a unique experience, visit the town of Bad Ischl, famous for its thermal spas and historic Imperial Villa.
Austria offers an abundance of romantic places for couples to create unforgettable memories. From historic cities to breathtaking lakeside retreats, each destination holds its own charm and allure. So pack your bags, embark on a romantic journey, and let Austria weave its magic on you and your loved one.
Nestled on the shores of Lake Wolfgang, the village of St. Wolfgang is a haven of tranquility and natural beauty. Take a romantic stroll along the lake promenade, lined with charming cafes and shops. Visit the Pilgrimage Church of St. Wolfgang, a stunning Gothic church that offers panoramic views of the lake and surrounding mountains. Don’t miss the nostalgic Schafbergbahn, a cog railway that takes you to the summit of Schafberg Mountain for breathtaking vistas.
Located in the southeastern region of Austria, Riegersburg Castle is a captivating fortress perched on a volcanic hill. Explore the castle’s medieval architecture, fortified walls, and picturesque courtyards. Take a romantic walk through the castle gardens and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. Inside the castle, you’ll find fascinating exhibitions on history, art, and the local region.
Eisriesenwelt Ice Cave
Eisriesenwelt Ice Cave For an extraordinary romantic adventure, head to the Eisriesenwelt Ice Cave, the largest ice cave in the world. Located in the Tennengebirge Mountains, this natural wonder features a stunning labyrinth of ice formations and frozen waterfalls. Take a guided tour through the cave’s awe-inspiring chambers and witness the mesmerizing play of light on the ice. It’s an unforgettable experience that will leave you in awe of nature’s beauty.
Alpbach Known as “Austria’s Most Beautiful Village,” Alpbach is a charming Alpine village that epitomizes romance. Take a leisurely walk through its flower-filled streets and admire the traditional wooden farmhouses. Enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains as you hike along picturesque trails. Alpbach also hosts an annual Almabtrieb festival, where cows are beautifully adorned with flowers and brought down from the mountain pastures—a colorful and festive celebration.
Danube River Cruise
Embark on a romantic Danube River cruise, where you can sail through Austria’s picturesque landscapes and charming riverside towns. Enjoy the scenic beauty as you glide past vineyards, medieval castles, and rolling hills. Stop at charming towns like Melk, Dürnstein, and Krems, where you can explore historic sites, sample local wines, and savor the romantic ambiance of riverside cafes.
Austria offers a myriad of romantic experiences, from lakeside villages and historic castles to stunning natural wonders. Each destination holds its own unique charm, inviting couples to create unforgettable moments together. So, whether you prefer serene lakes, majestic mountains, or fairytale villages, Austria has something to offer every romantic soul.
Graz Clock Tower
The Graz Clock Tower, also known as the Schlossberg Clock Tower, is an iconic landmark that offers a romantic and panoramic view of the city. Take a leisurely hike up Schlossberg hill, surrounded by lush greenery, and reach the top to be rewarded with breathtaking vistas. The clock tower itself is a fascinating structure, and you can enjoy the serene atmosphere as you take in the beauty of Graz from above.
Semmering Railway For a romantic journey through picturesque landscapes, hop aboard the Semmering Railway. This UNESCO World Heritage site is renowned for its stunning mountain vistas and architectural marvels. Enjoy a leisurely train ride through the Semmering Pass, passing viaducts, tunnels, and charming alpine villages. The scenic beauty of the Austrian Alps unfolds before your eyes, providing a truly memorable experience for couples.
Rattenberg Rattenberg is a medieval town located in the Tyrol region and is famous for its glassmaking tradition. Stroll hand-in-hand along the narrow streets, lined with charming shops selling exquisite glassware and art. Visit the Rattenberg Castle and immerse yourself in the town’s rich history. Don’t forget to stop by the Augustiner Museum, showcasing the region’s cultural heritage.
Melk Abbey Gardens
Melk Abbey Gardens Melk Abbey, situated on a hill overlooking the Danube River, is a magnificent baroque masterpiece. Explore the abbey’s impressive interiors, adorned with intricate details and stunning artwork. Afterward, take a romantic stroll through the beautifully manicured abbey gardens, featuring colorful flower beds and serene pathways. The peaceful ambiance and breathtaking views create a perfect setting for a romantic escape.
Lake Neusiedl Lake Neusiedl, nestled on the border of Austria and Hungary, is a picturesque destination that offers a romantic retreat for couples. Rent a boat or take a leisurely bike ride around the lake, exploring its tranquil shores and observing the diverse birdlife. Enjoy a picnic on one of the sandy beaches or visit the quaint villages dotted along the lake’s coastline. The serene atmosphere and natural beauty of Lake Neusiedl provide a serene backdrop for romantic moments.
Bad Gastein Nestled
Bad Gastein Nestled in the heart of the Gastein Valley, Bad Gastein is a charming spa town renowned for its healing thermal waters. Take a romantic stroll along the Belle Epoque promenade, lined with elegant buildings and picturesque gardens. Relax and rejuvenate together in one of the town’s luxurious thermal spas, immersing yourselves in the healing waters. For a breathtaking experience, visit the Gastein Waterfall, a cascading natural wonder surrounded by lush greenery.
Austria is a country that truly embodies romance and offers a myriad of enchanting destinations for couples. From the historical elegance of Salzburg and Vienna to the breathtaking beauty of Hallstatt and the Wachau Valley, each place has its own unique charm and allure.
Whether you prefer exploring charming old towns, indulging in the splendor of palaces, immersing yourselves in the serenity of lakes and mountains, or savoring the delights of vineyards and spas, Austria has something to captivate every couple’s heart.
Throughout this article we have uncovered 25 of the most romantic places in Austria, each offering its own special experiences and moments for couples to treasure. From the romantic vistas of Salzburg and the vibrant atmosphere of Vienna to the serene beauty of lakes such as Wolfgangsee and Neusiedl, Austria has an abundance of options for creating unforgettable memories with your loved one.
Whether you are seeking a romantic city escape, a peaceful lakeside retreat, or an adventure in the mountains, Austria’s diverse landscapes and rich cultural heritage provide the perfect backdrop for romance. Immerse yourselves in the history, art, and natural wonders of this enchanting country, and let the magic of Austria sweep you off your feet.
So, pack your bags, embark on a romantic journey, and let Austria’s captivating beauty and romantic ambiance envelop you and your partner. Whether you are celebrating an anniversary, planning a honeymoon, or simply seeking quality time together, Austria’s romantic places are ready to welcome you with open arms.
Remember, the most important aspect of any romantic getaway is the connection you share with your partner. Cherish every moment, create memories that will last a lifetime, and let the romance of Austria weave its spell on your hearts.
Safe travels and may your journey be filled with love and romance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Austria is good for couples for several reasons:
1. Romantic Cities: Austria is home to beautiful and romantic cities like Vienna, Salzburg, and Innsbruck, which provide a charming ambiance for couples to explore and enjoy together. These cities boast stunning architecture, cozy cafes, and picturesque parks, perfect for romantic walks and candlelit dinners.
2. Natural Beauty: Austria is known for its breathtaking natural landscapes, including the stunning Austrian Alps, crystal-clear lakes, and rolling green hills. Couples can enjoy hiking, skiing, or simply taking in the picturesque views, providing plenty of opportunities for bonding and creating lasting memories.
3. Rich Cultural Heritage: Austria has a rich cultural heritage, with a vibrant arts scene, classical music, and historic landmarks. Couples can indulge in live performances, visit historic sites like Schönbrunn Palace or Hohensalzburg Fortress, and explore museums, offering a chance to immerse themselves in Austrian history and culture.
4. Spa and Wellness Retreats: Austria is renowned for its spa and wellness retreats, offering couples a chance to relax, rejuvenate, and pamper themselves. Many hotels and resorts offer couples’ packages that include spa treatments, massage therapies, and thermal baths, allowing couples to unwind and de-stress together.
5. Culinary Delights: Austrian cuisine is known for its delicious flavors, hearty dishes, and sweet treats. Couples can indulge in a romantic dinner at a traditional restaurant, savoring dishes like Wiener Schnitzel or Apfelstrudel, accompanied by a glass of Austrian wine or local beer.
Austria’s combination of romantic cities, stunning natural beauty, cultural experiences, wellness retreats, and delectable cuisine make it an excellent choice for couples looking to spend quality time together and create lasting memories.
The city most commonly associated with lovers is Paris, France.
Yes, Vienna is often considered a great destination for couples. The city has a romantic atmosphere with picturesque architecture, charming coffeehouses, beautiful parks, and the Danube River adding to its appeal. Couples can enjoy leisurely strolls through the quaint streets, visit historical sites like Schönbrunn Palace or Belvedere Palace, indulge in fine dining experiences, and relax in one of the many cozy cafes. Vienna also offers various cultural activities such as classical concerts, opera performances, and art exhibitions. Overall, Vienna provides a romantic setting and plenty of activities for couples to enjoy together.
1. Salzburg: Explore this picturesque city famous for its baroque architecture and its association with Mozart. Take a romantic stroll around the Old Town or visit Hohensalzburg Fortress.
2. Vienna: Known as the city of music, Vienna offers a blend of history, culture, and romantic charm. Visit the famous Schönbrunn Palace or enjoy a horse-drawn carriage ride through the city.
3. Hallstatt: One of the most beautiful villages in Austria, Hallstatt is nestled by a serene lake surrounded by mountains. Enjoy boat rides, scenic hikes, and explore the village’s charming streets.
4. Innsbruck: Surrounded by the stunning Austrian Alps, Innsbruck offers a mix of breathtaking scenery and a vibrant city atmosphere. Visit the Swarovski Crystal Worlds or take a cable car ride up to Hafelekar Peak.
5. Wachau Valley: Located along the Danube River, Wachau Valley is known for its picturesque vineyards, medieval castles, and charming villages. Take a river cruise or go wine tasting with your loved one.
6. Zell am See: This idyllic town is a gateway to the Austrian Alps and offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor adventures like hiking, skiing, and snowboarding. Enjoy a romantic boat ride on Lake Zell.
7. St. Wolfgang: Nestled by Wolfgangsee, this small town offers romantic lakeside views, tranquil boat rides, and scenic hiking trails. Visit the famous Pilgrimage Church or take a cogwheel train up to Schafberg Mountain.
8. Graz: Known for its vibrant arts scene and UNESCO World Heritage-listed Old Town, Graz offers a mix of history, culture, and culinary delights. Take a romantic walk along the Mur River or visit the romantic Eggenberg Palace.
9. Bad Gastein: This famous spa town in the Alps is perfect for a romantic retreat. Enjoy relaxing thermal baths, indulge in wellness treatments, or take a scenic hike to Gasteiner Wasserfall.
10. Melk: Visit Melk Abbey, a magnificent baroque monastery overlooking the Danube River. Explore the beautiful gardens, take a guided tour, or enjoy a romantic picnic on the abbey grounds.
11. St. Anton am Arlberg: Known for its world-class skiing and stunning alpine scenery, St. Anton is a perfect destination for winter sports enthusiasts. Enjoy skiing, snowboarding, or go on a romantic horse-drawn sleigh ride.
12. Schladming: Explore the picturesque mountain town of Schladming, known for its skiing, hiking, and outdoor activities. Visit the stunning Dachstein Glacier or take a romantic horseback ride through the alpine meadows.
13. Krems an der Donau: Located in the heart of the Wachau Valley, Krems is a charming town surrounded by vineyards. Take a romantic bike ride along the Danube River or explore the town’s historic center
Yes there are several romantic ways to see Vienna beyond just visiting the Hofburg Palace and Sisi Gardens. Here are some suggestions:
1. Danube River Cruise: Take a leisurely boat ride along the Danube River, enjoying stunning views of the city’s historic architecture and scenic landscapes. Many river cruises also offer dinner or evening cruises, allowing you to enjoy the city’s beauty under the night sky.
2. Evening Stroll in the Old Town: Wander hand in hand through Vienna’s charming Old Town, exploring its narrow, cobblestone streets, Baroque architecture, and beautiful squares. The area is particularly enchanting in the evening when the streets are lit up, creating a romantic atmosphere.
3. Visit Belvedere Palace: Explore the stunning Belvedere Palace, known for its beautiful Baroque gardens and artwork. The palace offers breathtaking views of the city, making it a great spot for a romantic walk or picnic.
4. Viennese Coffee House Experience: Indulge in a classic Viennese coffee house experience with your loved one. Visit one of the city’s historic coffeehouses, such as Café Central or Café Sacher, and savor delicious specialty coffees and sweet treats while enjoying the cozy ambiance.
5. Schönbrunn Palace Gardens: Take a relaxing stroll through the vast and beautifully landscaped gardens of Schönbrunn Palace, Vienna’s famous imperial summer residence. The gardens offer tranquil settings, hidden corners, and stunning views of the palace making it an ideal spot for a romantic outing.
6. Prater Park Ferris Wheel: Make your way to Prater Park where you can take a ride on the iconic Wiener Riesenrad Ferris wheel. Enjoy breathtaking views of the city’s skyline from the top and perhaps even share a kiss at the highest point for a truly romantic experience.
the most romantic experiences often vary depending on personal preferences. So, consider your partner’s interests and preferences and customize your Vienna visit to create a truly intimate and memorable experience.
Yes Vienna is often considered a great destination for couples. The city has a romantic atmosphere with picturesque architecture, charming coffeehouses, beautiful parks, and the Danube River adding to its appeal. Couples can enjoy leisurely strolls through the quaint streets, visit historical sites like Schönbrunn Palace or Belvedere Palace, indulge in fine dining experiences, and relax in one of the many cozy cafes. Vienna also offers various cultural activities such as classical concerts, opera performances, and art exhibitions. Overall, Vienna provides a romantic setting and plenty of activities for couples to enjoy together.