Last Updated on April 4, 2023 by gregor
In this blog post, I will provide you with all the information you need to make the most of your visit to The Kunsthaus Wien.
Vienna is a city that never ceases to amaze its visitors. With its rich cultural heritage, exquisite architecture, and breathtaking art, Vienna has been a favorite destination for travelers for centuries. And when it comes to art and architecture, there is one place in Vienna that stands out – The Kunsthaus Wien designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser. If you’re planning to visit Vienna, you must add The Kunsthaus Wien (Museum Friedensreich Hundertwasser) to your itinerary.
Sightseeing Attraction Info and Tips Kunst Haus Wien – Hundertwasser Museum Vienna
The Kunsthaus Wien is an art museum located in Vienna’s third district. It was designed by the famous Austrian artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser, and its architecture is as impressive as the art inside. The museum’s unique and colorful façade is a sight to behold, and you’ll immediately recognize it when you see it.
If you’re interested in contemporary art, you’ll find plenty to admire at The Kunsthaus Wien. The museum’s collection includes works by many famous artists, including Andy Warhol, Claes Oldenburg, and Keith Haring. You’ll also find works by Hundertwasser himself, including some of his most famous pieces.
Visitor Highlights in Bullets
- The Kunsthaus Wien is an art museum located in Vienna’s third district. (established in 1991)
- It was designed by the famous Austrian artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser.
- The museum’s unique and colorful façade is a sight to behold.
- The museum’s collection permanent exhibition includes works by many famous artists, including Andy Warhol, Claes Oldenburg, and Keith Haring.
- Permanent Hundertwasser exhibition: You’ll also find works by Hundertwasser himself, including some of his most famous pieces.
Inside The Kunsthaus Wien in Vienna
As soon as you step inside The Kunsthaus Wien, you’ll notice how different it is from other museums. The walls and floors are curved, and the colorful decor and playful design elements will immediately capture your attention. The museum’s architecture is a work of art in itself, and it’s easy to see why Hundertwasser was considered a genius in his field.
The Kunsthaus Wien is divided into several floors, each with its own unique exhibits and features – Galleries
Here’s a breakdown of what you can expect to see inside the museum:
Ground Floor: This floor features a rotating selection of temporary exhibitions, as well as the museum’s ticket desk and shop.
First Floor: The first floor is dedicated to the work of Friedensreich Hundertwasser, the Austrian artist and architect who designed the museum. Here, you’ll find a collection of his paintings, sculptures, and architectural designs.
Second Floor: The second floor is home to the museum’s permanent collection of contemporary art, which includes works by notable artists such as Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, and Keith Haring.
Third Floor: The third floor is where you’ll find the café, which offers great views of the city, as well as a selection of drinks and snacks.
One of the most impressive spaces in the museum is the Auditorium, which is located on the top floor. The Auditorium has a large, glass dome ceiling that lets in natural light and provides a stunning view of the city. It’s a great place to sit and relax, take in the art, and enjoy the unique architecture of the museum.
The Kunsthaus Wien in Vienna Ticket Options
To enter The Kunsthaus Wien, you’ll need to purchase a ticket. There are several ticket options available, depending on your preferences and interests. Here are some of the most popular options:
- Regular admission: This ticket gives you access to the permanent collection and any temporary exhibitions on display. It costs €11 for adults and €9 for students and seniors.
- Combined ticket: If you plan to visit more than one museum in Vienna, you might consider purchasing a combined ticket. This ticket gives you access to The Kunsthaus Wien and two other museums of your choice. It costs €19 for adults and €15 for students and seniors.
- Family ticket: If you’re traveling with children, you can purchase a family ticket, which gives you access to the museum for two adults and up to three children. It costs €24.
- Audio guide: If you want to learn more about the art and the museum’s architecture, you can rent an audio guide for €3.
The Kunsthaus Wien in Vienna Visitors Tips
Here are some tips to help you make the most of your visit to The Kunsthaus Wien:
- Plan your visit ahead of time: Check the museum’s website for information on current exhibitions, opening hours, and ticket prices. You can also purchase tickets online to save time and avoid queues.
- Wear comfortable shoes: The museum has several floors, and you’ll be doing a lot of walking. Make sure you wear comfortable shoes, especially if you plan to explore the city after your visit.
- Bring a camera: The museum’s architecture and design are truly unique and worth capturing on camera. Just make sure you follow the museum’s photography rules and don’t use flash.
- Allow enough time: Depending on your interests, you might need several hours to explore the museum fully. Make sure you allow enough time in your schedule so that you don’t feel rushed.
- Visit the café: The museum’s café is located on the top floor and has a great view of the city. It’s a perfect place to relax, enjoy a coffee or a snack, and take in the views.
Good to Know before visiting the Kunsthaus Wien
The Kunsthaus Wien is closed on Mondays.
The museum is located near the Hundertwasserhaus, which is another famous Hundertwasser building that’s worth a visit.
The museum has a gift shop where you can buy books, postcards, and other souvenirs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is The Kunsthaus Wien suitable for children?
A: Yes, children are welcome at the museum. There are several interactive exhibits and hands-on activities that kids will enjoy.
Q: Is there a dress code for the museum?
A: No, there is no dress code. However, keep in mind that the museum has several floors, and you’ll be doing a lot of walking, so it’s best to wear comfortable shoes.
Q: Can I take photos in the museum?
A: Yes, you can take photos in the museum, but flash photography is not allowed. Also, some temporary exhibitions might have specific photography restrictions, so make sure to check before taking any photos.
Q: How long does it take to visit The Kunsthaus Wien?
A: The amount of time you need to visit The Kunsthaus Wien depends on your interests and how much time you have. You can spend as little as one hour or as much as several hours exploring the museum.
Q: Is there a guided tour available?
A: Yes, guided tours are available for an additional fee. You can book a guided tour on the museum’s website or at the ticket desk.
How to get to The Kunsthaus Wien in Vienna
The Kunsthaus Wien is located in the Landstraße district of Vienna, just a short walk from the Wien Mitte station. Here are some of the best ways to get to the museum:
- By public transport: Take the U3 metro line to Landstraße, then walk about 10 minutes to the museum. You can also take the S-Bahn to Wien Mitte and then walk to the museum.
- By bike: Vienna has an excellent bike-sharing program called Wien Mobil Rad, which allows you to rent a bike for a small fee. There are several Wien Mobil Rad stations near the museum.
- By car: If you’re driving to the museum, there is a paid parking lot nearby. However, it’s often easier and more convenient to use public transport.
Here is a Google Map with the location of The Kunsthaus Wien in Vienna:
In conclusion, The Kunsthaus Wien in Vienna is a must-visit destination for art lovers and anyone interested in unique architecture and design. With its colorful, playful design, an impressive collection of art, and stunning views of the city, it’s no wonder that this museum is one of Vienna’s most popular attractions. By following these tips and suggestions, you’ll be able to make the most of your visit and create lasting memories of your time in Vienna.