Last Updated on July 18, 2023 by gregor
I was the recent weeks in Italy visiting the beautiful Island of Capri and the wonderful famous village of Positano on the Amalfi Coast. Both locations are in southern Italy and they truly captured my heart with their breathtaking beauty and captivating charm. As a travel blogger, I am excited to share my firsthand experiences and provide valuable tips to help you make the most of your visit to Positano.
Positano with its colorful buildings cascading down the cliffs has long been regarded as one of the most picturesque destinations in the world. From stunning beaches and crystal-clear waters to charming narrow streets lined with boutiques and restaurants this vibrant coastal town offers a unique and unforgettable experience.
In this article I Will guide you through the top 10 best things to do and see in Positano highlighting the activities and attractions that stood out during my own journey. Whether you’re seeking relaxation on the sun-soaked beaches exploring the fascinating history and culture or indulging in the delectable local cuisine, Positano has something to offer for every traveler.
So grab a refreshing limoncello sit back and let me take you on a virtual tour of Positano as we uncover the hidden gems must-visit spots and insider tips that will make your trip to this Italian paradise truly unforgettable. Let’s embark on this adventure together and discover the best of Positano!
Plan your Trip to Positano in Italy?
- 🏨 Find the perfect accommodation on Booking.com
- 🎡 Book the Best Guided Tour on GetYourGuide
- 😍 Get more emotions from your trip with Tripadvisor
- 🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
- ✈️ Buy the cheapest flight tickets with WayAway
- 🚂 🚌 ✈️ Best prices for Train, Buses, Cars, Ferries, and flights Omio
Taking in Panoramic Views from Villa Cimbrone
Positano with its idyllic setting and captivating charm offers a myriad of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Let’s dive deeper into each of these experiences:
I always use GetYourGuide to book activities and attractions while traveling through Europe. You can search through over 50 Positano attractions on their website here 👇
Exploring Positano’s Charming Streets:
Wander through the narrow, colorful streets of Positano, lined with boutique shops, local artisan workshops and quaint cafes. Lose yourself in the vibrant atmosphere and immerse yourself in the local culture.
Relaxing on Positano’s Beautiful Beaches:
Soak up the sun and feel the soft sand between your toes on Positano’s stunning beaches. Whether you choose Spiaggia Grande, Fornillo Beach, or Arienzo Beach You will be treated to breathtaking views of the coast and crystal-clear waters.
Visiting the Iconic Church of Santa Maria Assunta:
Admire the beautiful majolica-tiled dome of the Church of Santa Maria Assunta a landmark of Positano. Step inside to see the famous Byzantine icon of the Black Madonna and marvel at the intricate interior.
Hiking the Path of the Gods:
Lace up your hiking boots and embark on the renowned Path of the Gods. This scenic trail offers panoramic views of the coastline, rugged cliffs and picturesque villages providing an unforgettable hiking experience.
Enjoying Water Sports and Activities:
Dive into the azure waters of the Tyrrhenian Sea and enjoy a variety of water sports and activities such as snorkeling, paddleboarding or kayaking. Explore hidden coves, sea caves and vibrant marine life in the clear waters.
Indulging in Local Cuisine and Shopping:
Delight your taste buds with traditional Italian cuisine at local restaurants, trattorias and gelato shops. Don’t forget to browse the boutiques and shops where you can find unique handmade ceramics fashionable clothing and local products.
Exploring the Amalfi Coast by Car or Scooter:
Take a scenic drive along the Amalfi Coast, soaking in breathtaking views of cliffs, vineyards and quaint coastal towns. rent a scooter and enjoy the freedom to explore at your own pace.
Discovering the Charming Town of Ravello:
Venture beyond Positano and visit the picturesque town of Ravello perched high above the coast. Explore its enchanting gardens visit the iconic Villa Rufolo and Villa Cimbrone and enjoy panoramic views of the coastline.
Exploring the Ancient Ruins of Pompeii:
Embark on a day trip to the nearby archaeological site of Pompeii where you can witness the preserved ruins of the ancient Roman city. Immerse yourself in history as you stroll through the streets and marvel at the well-preserved buildings.
Taking in Panoramic Views from Villa Cimbrone:
Visit Villa Cimbrone in Ravello and be rewarded with breathtaking views from its famous Terrace of Infinity. Admire the sweeping vistas of the coastline and the azure waters below offering an unforgettable sight.
Indulging in Local Cuisine in Positano
Positano is not just about its picturesque beaches and charming streets; it also offers a treasure trove of hidden gems and unique experiences. Let’s uncover these hidden gems:
Discovering the Best Hidden Gems in Positano:
Venture off the main streets and discover hidden spots that are less explored. From secret coves and hidden viewpoints to lesser-known restaurants and local shops these hidden gems offer a glimpse into the authentic side of Positano.
Family-Friendly Activities in Positano:
Positano is a destination that caters to travelers of all ages. Engage in family-friendly activities such as beachside picnics, treasure hunts or exploring the interactive exhibits at the Museo della Carta.
Romantic Things to Do in Positano:
Positano exudes romance making it the perfect destination for couples. Enjoy sunset strolls along the beach, savor intimate dinners with panoramic views or take a private boat ride along the coast to experience Positano’s romantic allure.
Outdoor Activities in Positano:
Embrace the stunning natural surroundings of Positano by engaging in outdoor activities. Go hiking along scenic trails try your hand at water sports like paddleboarding or kayaking, or simply relax and enjoy the coastal beauty.
Guided Walking Tours in Positano:
Explore the streets of Positano with a knowledgeable local guide who can provide insights into the town’s history, culture and hidden stories. Learn about the fascinating past of Positano as you wander through its enchanting streets.
Shopping Experiences in Positano:
Indulge in the vibrant shopping scene of Positano, where you can find unique handmade ceramics fashionable clothing, and local products. Explore the boutique shops and artisan workshops to discover one-of-a-kind treasures.
Exploring Positano Off the Beaten Path:
Escape the crowds and delve into the lesser-known corners of Positano. Discover hidden alleys secluded beaches, or local cafes tucked away from the main tourist areas.
Photography Locations in Positano:
Capture the beauty of Positano through your lens by visiting the best photography spots. From panoramic viewpoints to colorful streets and iconic landmarks Positano offers countless opportunities for stunning photographs.
Immerse in Positano’s Cultural Events:
Immerse yourself in Positano’s vibrant cultural scene by attending local events, art exhibitions or music festivals. Experience the lively atmosphere and celebrate the rich cultural heritage of this charming coastal town.
Indulging in Local Cuisine in Positano:
Delight your taste buds with the flavors of Positano by indulging in the local cuisine. From fresh seafood dishes to traditional pasta and gelato Positano offers a culinary journey that will satisfy any food lover.
Positano with its breathtaking beauty and captivating charm, offers a plethora of activities and attractions that cater to all kinds of travelers. From its picturesque beaches and vibrant streets to its historical sites and outdoor adventures, Positano has something to enchant every visitor. Whether you’re seeking relaxation, romance or exploration,Positano has it all.
During your visit be sure to immerse yourself in the local culture by exploring the hidden gems, indulging in the delicious cuisine and interacting with the friendly locals. Don’t miss the opportunity to stroll along the colorful streets, relax on the sun-kissed beaches and witness the mesmerizing sunsets that paint the sky with hues of orange and pink.
Whether you’re a history enthusiast, a nature lover or a foodie, Positano offers a myriad of experiences to suit your interests. Embark on guided tours to gain a deeper understanding of the town’s rich history hike along scenic trails to admire panoramic views or simply unwind on the pristine beaches.
No matter the duration of your stay, Positano will leave an indelible mark on your heart. From the moment you arrive You will be captivated by its beauty, hospitality and timeless allure. So pack your bags and get ready to create lasting memories in this enchanting destination on the Amalfi Coast. Positano awaits you with open arms.
Read my Blog Post about Capri and Positano
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Positano offers a wide array of activities and attractions that cater to various interests. Let’s delve into each of these aspects:
From relaxing on the picturesque beaches to exploring the charming streets indulging in water sports, embarking on hiking adventures, and immersing yourself in the local culture, Positano has something for everyone.
Discover the iconic landmarks that make Positano a renowned tourist destination including the Church of Santa Maria Assunta, Spiaggia Grande, Fornillo Beach and the colorful houses that cascade down the cliffside
The ideal duration for a stay in Positano depends on personal preferences. While a day trip allows you to experience the highlights spending 2-3 days or more provides ample time to immerse yourself in the beauty and atmosphere of this coastal paradise.
Enhance your visit to Positano with guided tours that offer insights into the history, culture and local traditions. Whether it’s a walking tour, boat tour, or cultural excursion knowledgeable guides can enhance your understanding and provide a unique perspective.
Enjoy the sun, sand, and crystal-clear waters at renowned beaches such as Spiaggia Grande and Fornillo Beach. Relax on the sun loungers, take a refreshing swim or soak up the vibrant beach atmosphere.
Lace up your hiking shoes and explore the scenic trails around Positano. The Path of the Gods, Monte Tre Calli and Valle delle Ferriere are popular hiking routes that offer breathtaking views of the coast and surrounding landscapes.
Positano’s mild climate makes it a year-round destination but the best time to visit is during the spring (April to June) and fall (September to October) when the weather is pleasant and the crowds are fewer.
Visiting Positano Italy during the winter offers a unique and tranquil experience, away from the bustling crowds. While some attractions and activities may be limited due to the off-season here are some of the best things to see and do in Positano during the winter:
1. Explore the Beach: While swimming might be out of the question the winter beach in Positano is serene and less crowded. Take a leisurely stroll along the shore enjoy the stunning views and collect seashells.
2. Visit the Church of Santa Maria Assunta: The iconic domed church in Positano is a must-see. Admire the beautiful architecture, the Byzantine-style dome and the fascinating medieval paintings inside.
3. Take a Hike: Enjoy the mild winter weather and hike along the renowned Path of Gods (Sentiero degli Dei). This stunning trail offers breathtaking views of the Amalfi Coast and valleys.
4. Wander the Streets: Explore the charming narrow streets and alleys of Positano, lined with colorful buildings. Discover local shops, art galleries and boutiques selling handmade ceramics and souvenirs.
5. Experience Local Cuisine: Sample delicious Italian cuisine at the local trattorias and restaurants. Indulge in traditional dishes like pasta, fresh seafood and limoncello, a locally made lemon liqueur.
6. Visit the Emerald Grotto (Grotta dello Smeraldo): Take a boat trip to this enchanting natural cave illuminated by emerald-green light. Admire the stalactites and stalagmites, and take a boat ride on the clear turquoise waters.
7. Explore Nearby Towns: Use Positano as a base to visit other picturesque coastal towns nearby such as Amalfi, Ravello or Sorrento. These towns offer their own unique charm and attractions.
8. Relax at a Spa: Enjoy some well-deserved relaxation at one of the luxury spas in Positano. Indulge in a massage or pamper yourself with a wellness treatment while enjoying the tranquil atmosphere.
9. Attend Festive Celebrations: If your visit coincides with the Christmas season You can experience the festive atmosphere and attend local celebrations including religious processions, nativity scenes and live music performances.
10. Admire the Views: Take in the breathtaking views over Positano from the viewpoints and terraces located higher up the town. Capture the stunning scenery and watch the sunset over the Amalfi Coast.
Remember to check opening hours and any possible closures during the winter months as some attractions and businesses might have limited schedules.
When visiting Positano, there are several must-try dishes that you should not miss. Some of these include:
1. Spaghetti alle Vongole: This is a classic dish made with spaghetti, clams, garlic, olive oil and white wine. It is a simple yet flavorful pasta dish that is common in Positano.
2. Insalata Caprese: A fresh and light salad made with ripe tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, basil and drizzled with olive oil. This dish showcases the delicious flavors of the region.
3. Lemon Risotto: Positano is famous for its lemons and lemon risotto is a popular dish that highlights their vibrant flavor. The risotto is cooked with lemon juice, zest and sometimes served with seafood.
4. Frittura di Paranza: A delicious mix of fried seafood including shrimp, calamari, fish and small octopuses. It is a great dish to try if you love seafood.
5. Ravioli Caprese: Caprese ravioli consists of tender pasta filled with a mixture of mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and basil. This dish is often served with a simple tomato sauce.
6. Delizia al Limone: This traditional lemon cake is a must-try dessert in Positano. It is a lemon-flavored sponge cake soaked in limoncello liqueur and topped with a lemon glaze.
7. Sfogliatella: A traditional Neapolitan pastry filled with sweet ricotta cheese and flavored with orange blossom water. It is a perfect treat to enjoy with a cup of espresso.
Make sure to indulge in these dishes to fully experience the flavors of Positano and its authentic cuisine.