Last Updated on April 24, 2023 by gregor
Carinthia, Austria is a hidden gem located in the southern part of the country, bordered by Italy and Slovenia. This region is known for its crystal-clear lakes, scenic mountains, and charming towns. In this blog post, we will explore the best things to do in Carinthia, Austria.
Best things to do in Carinthia, Austria, Top Attractions and Places to visit
Why visit Carinthia in Austria?
Natural beauty: Carinthia is home to breathtaking natural landscapes, including Lake Wörthersee, Lake Millstatt, and the Nockberge Mountains.
Outdoor activities: With over 1,200 kilometers of hiking trails, numerous ski resorts, and many water sports opportunities, Carinthia is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts.
Culture and history: Carinthia has a rich cultural heritage, with historic castles, museums, and traditional festivals.
Wellness: Carinthia is also known for its thermal baths and spas, which offer relaxation and rejuvenation for visitors.
Where is Carinthia?
Carinthia is located in the southern part of Austria, bordering Italy and Slovenia. It is the southernmost state in Austria and covers an area of 9,536 km².
When is the best time to visit Carinthia in Austria?
The best time to visit Carinthia is from May to October when the weather is warm and sunny. During this time, visitors can enjoy outdoor activities, including hiking, biking, and swimming in the lakes.
Winter sports enthusiasts should plan their visit between December and March when the ski resorts are open.
Plan your Trip to Carinthia?
- 🏨 Find the perfect accommodation on Booking.com
- 🎡 Book the Best Guided Tour on GetYourGuide
- 😍 Get more emotions from your trip with Tripadvisor
- 🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
- ✈️ Buy the cheapest flight tickets with WayAway
- 🚂 🚌 ✈️ Best prices for Train, Buses, Cars, Ferries, and flights Omio
How to get to Carinthia in Austria?
Carinthia can be easily reached by car, train, or plane. Klagenfurt Airport is the main airport in the region, with connections to Vienna and other European cities. There are also direct train connections from Vienna and other Austrian cities. The A2 and A10 highways connect Carinthia with other parts of Austria and neighboring countries.
Check OMIO for the best Train, Flight Ticket Prices to get to Carinthia
25 Best Things to Do in Carinthia
There are many amazing things to do in Carinthia, Austria. Here are 25 of the best:
Visit Lake Wörthersee
The largest lake in Carinthia, perfect for swimming, water sports, and relaxation.
Read more on this Blog Post about the Wörthersee:
TOP THINGS TO DO AT THE WÖRTHERSEE, CARINTHIA, AUSTRIA
Explore the Old Town of Klagenfurt
Klagenfurt is the sixth-largest city in Austria and is located in the southern part of the country, near the border with Slovenia. Here are some things you can do when visiting Klagenfurt:
Visit the Old Town: Klagenfurt’s Old Town is a charming and well-preserved historic district that dates back to the Middle Ages. The Old Town is home to several landmarks and attractions, including the Lindwurm fountain, the Landhaus, and the Domkirche.
Here are some Guided Tour activities that I highly recommend when visiting Klagenfurt
Take a boat ride on Lake Wörthersee
The best way to explore Lake Wörthersee is by boat. The lake opens up from a completely different – magical – perspective. The piers are in the most beautiful places around Lake Wörthersee and offer additional excursion options. With the Wörthersee Schifffahrt, excursions, charter trips, and an Advent boat trip are possible in addition to regular service.
The shipyard is located in Klagenfurt am Wörthersee – in the beautiful eastern bay right next to the Pizzeria Trattoria Villa Lido.
MORE INFORMATION AND TICKETS WÖRTHERSEE SCHIFFFAHRT
Visit the Schlosshotel Wörthersee in Velden am Wörthersee
Schlosshotel Velden is a luxurious hotel located in the charming town of Velden am Wörthersee, Austria. Here are some things you can do when visiting Schlosshotel Velden:
- Relax in the Spa: Schlosshotel Velden features a state-of-the-art spa that offers a range of treatments and services. You can enjoy a massage, soak in the hot tub, or simply relax in the sauna and steam room.
- Dine at the Restaurant: The hotel’s restaurant, Seespitz, offers fine dining with a stunning view of the lake. The menu features a range of international and Austrian cuisine, prepared with fresh and locally-sourced ingredients.
- Take a Dip in the Pool: Schlosshotel Velden features an indoor and outdoor pool, both of which offer breathtaking views of the lake and the surrounding mountains. You can swim laps, soak up the sun, or simply enjoy the serene and peaceful atmosphere.
Admire the views of the Pyramidenkogel
The Pyramidenkogel is probably the most striking point on Lake Wörthersee. It is located in the municipality of Keutschach and is the world’s highest wooden observation tower. The 360-degree panoramic view of Carinthia is unforgettable.
Contact and Address
Pyramidenkogel: Linden 62, 9074 Keutschach am See. Tel.: +43 (0) 4273 / 2443, Mail: [email protected].
The Pyramidenkogel observation tower is open daily from February to October. The tower opens daily from November to January.
More Infos: Weather & Entry Tickets and Opening Hours
Hike in the Nockberge National Park
Nockberge National Park is located in the Carinthia region of Austria, and is known for its beautiful mountain landscapes, alpine meadows, and diverse wildlife. Here are some tips for hiking in the Nockberge National Park:
- Choose a Trail: Nockberge National Park has several hiking trails of varying lengths and difficulties, so be sure to choose one that suits your fitness level and interests. Some popular trails include the Alpenblumenweg, the Turracher Höhenweg, and the Brunnachrunde.
- Be Prepared: Make sure to wear comfortable hiking shoes and appropriate clothing for the weather conditions. Bring plenty of water, snacks, and a map of the area. It’s also a good idea to check the weather forecast before heading out.
- Respect Nature: Nockberge National Park is a protected area, so it’s important to respect the environment and wildlife. Stay on designated trails, avoid littering, and be mindful of your impact on the natural surroundings.
- Enjoy the Views: Nockberge National Park offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains, valleys, and lakes. Take your time to enjoy the scenery and snap some photos along the way.
- Learn about the Park: Nockberge National Park offers guided hikes and educational programs that allow visitors to learn more about the park’s history, geology, and wildlife. Check with the park’s visitor center for more information.
Ski in Bad Kleinkirchheim
Bad Kleinkirchheim is a popular ski resort located in Carinthia, Austria, with over 100 kilometers of ski runs and 25 ski lifts. Here are some tips for skiing in Bad Kleinkirchheim:
- Choose Your Slopes: Bad Kleinkirchheim offers a range of ski runs for all levels, from beginner to advanced. It’s important to choose the slopes that match your ability level and experience and to take your time exploring the mountain.
- Rent Equipment: If you don’t have your own ski equipment, you can rent everything you need in the resort. Make sure to choose equipment that’s comfortable and fits well, as this will make your skiing experience more enjoyable.
- Take Lessons: If you’re new to skiing or want to improve your skills, taking lessons is highly recommended. Bad Kleinkirchheim has several ski schools that offer lessons for all ages and abilities, and the instructors can provide valuable tips and guidance to help you improve.
- Stay Safe: Skiing can be a fun and exhilarating activity, but it’s important to stay safe on the slopes. Always wear a helmet and other appropriate safety gear, follow the rules and signs, and be aware of other skiers around you.
- Enjoy the Apres-Ski: After a long day of skiing, relax and unwind with some apres-ski activities. Bad Kleinkirchheim has several bars, restaurants, and spas where you can enjoy a drink, a meal, or a massage.
Relax in the thermal waters of Warmbad Villach
Warmbad Villach is a popular spa town located in the southern part of Carinthia. It is known for its thermal waters, which are believed to have therapeutic properties that can help with a wide range of health issues. The thermal baths of Warmbad Villach are fed by hot springs that rise from the earth’s crust, and the water is rich in minerals and trace elements that are said to have a healing effect on the body.
The thermal baths of Warmbad Villach offer a range of facilities for visitors, including indoor and outdoor pools, saunas, steam rooms, and relaxation areas. The pools are kept at a comfortable temperature of around 32°C to 36°C, and the water is naturally warm and soothing to the skin.
Visitors to the thermal baths can choose from a range of treatments, including massages, hydrotherapy, and aromatherapy. The spa also offers beauty treatments such as facials and body wraps, as well as fitness classes and yoga sessions.
The thermal baths of Warmbad Villach are surrounded by beautiful parkland, and visitors can enjoy a peaceful stroll or picnic in the gardens after their spa treatments. There are also several restaurants and cafes in the town where visitors can enjoy a meal or a drink.
Visit Hochosterwitz Castle (Burg Hochosterwitz)
Hochosterwitz Castle is a medieval fortress located in the heart of Carinthia. Built on a steep hilltop, the castle has a commanding view of the surrounding countryside, making it a strategic defensive position for centuries. Today, the castle is a popular tourist destination, with visitors coming from all over the world to admire its impressive architecture and learn about its rich history.
The Hochosterwitz castle dates back to the 16th century and is a prime example of Renaissance architecture. It has a unique defensive design with 14 gates that visitors must pass through to reach the castle’s inner courtyard. Each gate is protected by a variety of traps and obstacles, making it nearly impossible for attackers to breach the castle’s defenses.
Inside the castle, visitors can explore a variety of rooms and chambers, including the Knight’s Hall, the Chapel, and the Armory. The castle also houses a museum, which showcases a collection of weapons, armor, and other historical artifacts from the castle’s past.
One of the highlights of a visit to Hochosterwitz Castle is climbing to the top of the castle’s tower, which offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside. On clear days, visitors can see as far as the Alps in the distance.
In addition to its impressive architecture and historical significance, Hochosterwitz Castle also hosts a variety of events throughout the year, including medieval festivals, concerts, and theater performances.
Take a boat trip on Lake Millstatt
Lake Millstatt is one of the most beautiful lakes in Carinthia, and one of the best ways to explore its stunning scenery is by taking a boat trip. The lake is surrounded by majestic mountains and lush green forests, and the water is crystal clear and perfect for swimming.
There are several boat companies that offer tours of the lake, ranging from short trips around the shoreline to longer excursions that explore the lake’s hidden bays and coves. Visitors can choose from a variety of boats, including traditional wooden boats, electric boats, and paddle boats.
One of the highlights of a boat trip on Lake Millstatt is visiting the various villages and towns that dot the shoreline. The town of Millstatt, for example, is a charming historic village that features a beautiful Gothic church and a stunning lakeside promenade. Other towns around the lake, such as Seeboden and Döbriach, offer a range of activities, including water sports, hiking, and cycling.
Many of the boat tours also offer the opportunity to stop at one of the lake’s many beaches, where visitors can take a swim in the refreshing water or simply relax on the sand. Some of the beaches also have restaurants and cafes where visitors can enjoy a meal or a drink while taking in the beautiful scenery.
Go cycling on the Drauradweg
A popular cycling route that follows the Drau River through scenic landscapes.
The Drauradweg is a popular cycling route that follows the Drau River through Austria, Slovenia, and Italy. Here are some tips for cycling on the Drauradweg:
- Plan Your Route: The Drauradweg is a long route, covering over 700 kilometers from the source of the Drau River in Italy to its mouth in Croatia. Plan your route ahead of time, and decide how far you want to cycle each day.
- Rent a Bike: If you don’t have your own bike, you can rent one in one of the many towns and villages along the Drauradweg. Make sure to choose a bike that’s comfortable and fits well, as this will make your cycling experience more enjoyable.
- Bring the Right Gear: Bring appropriate clothing and gear for the weather conditions, including rain gear and a helmet. You may also want to bring a small backpack or panniers to carry snacks, water, and other essentials.
Visit the Minimundus miniature park
Minimundus is a miniature park located in Klagenfurt, Austria, that features more than 150 detailed models of famous buildings and landmarks from around the world. Here are some tips for visiting Minimundus:
- Plan Your Visit: Minimundus is open daily from April to October, with shorter hours in the off-season. Plan your visit ahead of time, and check the website for information on opening hours, admission prices, and special events.
- Explore the Miniatures: Take your time exploring the miniature models, which include famous landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower, the Taj Mahal, and the Colosseum. Many of the models are interactive, so you can push buttons to see miniature trains, boats, and other vehicles in action.
- Learn About the Models: Each miniature model has a plaque that provides information about the building or landmark it represents. Take the time to read these plaques and learn about the history and significance of each model.
- Enjoy the Scenery: Minimundus is located on the shore of Lake Wörthersee, and the park offers beautiful views of the lake and surrounding mountains. Take a stroll around the park’s gardens and enjoy the scenery.
- Visit the Gift Shop and Café: Minimundus has a gift shop where you can purchase souvenirs and miniature replicas of the models. There is also a café where you can enjoy coffee, snacks, and light meals.
Explore the historic town of Villach
Villach is a historic town located in the southern part of Austria, near the borders of Italy and Slovenia. Here are some tips for exploring the town:
- Visit the Old Town: Villach’s Old Town is a well-preserved area that features medieval and Baroque buildings, narrow streets, and picturesque squares. Take a stroll around the Old Town and admire the historic architecture.
- Explore the Hauptplatz: The Hauptplatz is Villach’s main square, and it features a colorful mix of historic and modern buildings. The square is a popular spot for events and festivals throughout the year.
- Visit the Schiller Park: The Schiller Park is a lovely green space located in the heart of Villach. It features walking paths, a pond, and a playground for children.
- Check out the St. Jakob Church: The St. Jakob Church is a Gothic-style church located in the Old Town. It features a stunning interior with frescoes and stained glass windows.
- Visit the Museum of Villach: The Museum of Villach is located in the Old Town and features exhibits on the town’s history and culture. It also houses a collection of paintings and sculptures.
Here are some Guided Tours and activities I highly recommend when visiting Villach:
Go on a wine tour in the South Carinthian Wine Region
Sample delicious local wines and learn about the region’s winemaking traditions.
Have a look at Tripadvisor’s Best Recommended Wine Tours in Carinthia
Take a cable car up to the Gerlitzen Alpe
Taking the cable car up to the Gerlitzen Alpe is a great way to experience the stunning natural beauty of the Carinthian region of Austria. Here are some tips for your visit to the Gerlitzen Alpe:
- Check the Weather: The cable car operates year-round, but weather conditions can impact the availability and visibility during the ride. Check the weather forecast before heading to the cable car.
- Take the Cable Car: The cable car starts from the village of Annenheim and takes you up to the Gerlitzen Alps in just 15 minutes. The ride offers incredible views of the surrounding landscape, including Lake Ossiach and the Julian and Karawanken mountain ranges.
- Hike or Bike: The Gerlitzen Alps offer many hiking and biking trails of varying difficulty levels. Take a map and plan your route in advance, and make sure to bring appropriate footwear and clothing.
- Enjoy the Views: Once you arrive at the top of the cable car, take in the panoramic views of the surrounding area. There are several lookout points that offer incredible views of the lake and mountains.
- Visit the Restaurants: There are several restaurants and cafes located at the top of the cable car, where you can enjoy a meal or a drink with a view.
- Try Paragliding: For the more adventurous visitors, paragliding is a popular activity in the Gerlitzen Alps. There are several companies that offer tandem flights, where you can experience the thrill of flying over the beautiful landscape.
Visit the Benedictine Monastery of St. Paul
The Benedictine Monastery of St. Paul, also known as Stift St. Paul, is a beautiful historic monastery located in the Lavanttal Valley of Carinthia, Austria. Here are some tips for visiting:
- Take a Guided Tour: Guided tours are available and highly recommended, as they offer insight into the history and culture of the monastery. You can learn about the religious and cultural significance of the monastery and its impressive architecture.
- Visit the Museum: The monastery also houses a museum, which features exhibits on the history of the monastery and the surrounding region. The museum has a collection of religious artifacts, books, manuscripts, and works of art.
- Explore the Gardens: The monastery has beautiful gardens that are open to visitors. Take a leisurely stroll through the gardens and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
- Attend a Concert or Event: The monastery hosts several cultural events throughout the year, including concerts, exhibitions, and festivals. Check the calendar of events and plan your visit accordingly.
- Visit the Church: The church is an impressive example of Baroque architecture and features a stunning interior with ornate decorations and frescoes.
Go water rafting on the Möll River
Water rafting on the Möll River is a thrilling and exciting activity for adventure enthusiasts visiting the Carinthian region of Austria. Here are some tips for your rafting trip:
- Choose a Reputable Rafting Company: There are several rafting companies that operate on the Möll River. Do some research beforehand and choose a reputable company that has experienced guides and well-maintained equipment.
- Wear Proper Gear: Rafting can be a wet and wild experience, so make sure to wear appropriate clothing and gear. Wetsuits, helmets, and life jackets are provided by the rafting companies.
- Pay Attention to Safety Briefing: Before embarking on your rafting trip, the guides will provide a safety briefing that includes important information on how to stay safe on the river. Pay attention and follow their instructions.
Explore the Terra Mystica underground mines
The Terra Mystica underground mines, located in the Austrian Alps, offer a unique and fascinating subterranean experience for visitors. Here are some tips for exploring the Terra Mystica mines:
- Wear Proper Clothing: The mines can be cold and damp, so make sure to wear warm and waterproof clothing, sturdy shoes or boots with good traction, and a headlamp or flashlight.
- Take a Guided Tour: Guided tours are available and highly recommended, as they offer insight into the history and culture of the mines. You can learn about the mining techniques used in the past and explore the various tunnels and chambers of the mine.
- Experience the Multimedia Show: The Terra Mystica mines also feature a multimedia show that uses light and sound effects to recreate the mining experience. The show is available in several languages and adds an extra dimension to your visit.
- Learn about Mining History: The Terra Mystica mines have a rich mining history that dates back to Roman times. Take the time to learn about the history and culture of the region and how the mines played an important role in shaping it.
- Try Mining Activities: The Terra Mystica mines offer visitors the ch
Go on a Hike in the Nassfeld
A charming way to explore the valley’s stunning landscapes.
Read more here: Hike World in the Nassfeld
Visit the Kärnten Card attractions
The Kärnten Card is a tourist pass that offers free or discounted admission to over 100 attractions in Carinthia, including museums, cable cars, swimming pools, and more. Here are some of the top attractions to visit with your Kärnten Card:
- Gerlitzen Alpe Cable Car: Take a ride on the cable car up to the Gerlitzen Alpe and enjoy stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Lake Ossiach: Enjoy free admission to several swimming pools and beaches around Lake Ossiach, including Strandbad Ossiach and Strandbad Sattendorf.
- Minimundus: Explore the world in miniature at this popular attraction featuring over 150 models of famous landmarks from around the globe.
- Pyramidenkogel: Take in panoramic views of Carinthia from the top of the Pyramidenkogel tower, the tallest wooden observation tower in the world.
- Hochosterwitz Castle: Visit this impressive fortress and learn about its history dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Kärnten Therme: Relax and rejuvenate at this spa and thermal bath complex, featuring indoor and outdoor pools, saunas, and more.
- Schifffahrt am Wörthersee: Take a scenic boat ride on Lake Wörthersee and enjoy stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
Go on a road trip on the Nockalm Road
Going on a road trip on the Nockalm Road is a great way to explore the stunning mountain scenery of the Nockberge National Park in Carinthia. Here are some tips for your Nockalm Road trip:
- Start your trip early in the morning to avoid crowds and to have plenty of time to stop and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
- Make sure to bring a map or GPS, as the road can be winding and sometimes tricky to navigate.
- Plan to stop at some of the scenic viewpoints along the way, such as the Glockenhütte, where you can take in panoramic views of the surrounding mountains.
- Take advantage of the many hiking trails in the area, which offer stunning views of the alpine landscape and the chance to spot local wildlife.
- Visit the Nockalmhof, a visitor center along the road where you can learn more about the flora and fauna of the region, as well as the park’s history and conservation efforts.
- Stop at one of the many alpine huts along the way for a taste of traditional Carinthian cuisine, such as Kärntner Kasnudeln (local dumplings) or freshly-baked bread.
- Keep an eye out for local events and festivals, which often take place in the summer months and offer a chance to experience the region’s culture and traditions.
Take a dip in Lake Faaker See
Taking a dip in Lake Faaker See is a great way to cool off during the hot summer months in Carinthia. Here are some tips for visiting Lake Faaker See:
Check also Tripadvisor’s Best activities at the Lake Faaker See
- Bring your own towels and sunscreen, as well as any snacks or drinks you may want for your day at the lake.
- Check the weather forecast and water temperature before you go, and make sure to dress appropriately.
- Arrive early to secure a good spot on the beach, as it can get crowded during peak season.
- Take advantage of the many water sports and activities available on the lake, such as swimming, boating, paddleboarding, and kayaking.
Explore the wild beauty of the Hohe Tauern National Park
Exploring the wild beauty of the Hohe Tauern National Park is an incredible experience for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts alike. Here are some tips for visiting the park:
- Start by researching the different hiking trails in the park, and choose one that matches your skill level and interests. The park has over 350km of marked trails that wind through breathtaking mountain landscapes, glaciers, and waterfalls.
- Check the weather forecast and trail conditions before you go, and make sure to bring proper hiking gear, including sturdy shoes, layers, and a rain jacket.
- Consider hiring a local guide or joining a guided tour, especially if you’re not an experienced hiker. This will help you navigate the trails safely and learn more about the park’s flora and fauna.
- Visit one of the park’s many visitor centers or museums to learn more about the history and ecology of the region. These centers also offer educational programs and events for families and children.
- Take advantage of the park’s many outdoor activities, including mountain biking, rock climbing, and rafting. The park also has several via ferrata routes for adventurous visitors.
- Visit the Grossglockner High Alpine Road, a scenic drive that winds through the park and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
Visit the Museum of Modern Art Carinthia (MMKK)
The Museum of Modern Art Carinthia (MMKK) is a must-visit destination for art enthusiasts visiting Carinthia. Here are some tips for planning your visit:
- Check the museum’s website or social media pages for the latest exhibitions and events. The museum hosts a range of contemporary art exhibitions throughout the year, showcasing both established and emerging artists.
- Take a guided tour of the museum to learn more about the artworks on display and the history of contemporary art in Carinthia.
- Visit the museum’s permanent collection, which includes works by leading artists from Austria and abroad, such as Markus Prachensky, Hermann Nitsch, and Marina Abramovic.
- Explore the museum’s outdoor sculpture garden, which features a range of contemporary sculptures and installations by local and international artists.
- Take part in one of the museum’s many educational programs, which include workshops, lectures, and tours for both adults and children.
- Check out the museum’s café and gift shop, which offer a range of refreshments, souvenirs, and books on contemporary art and design.
- If you’re visiting with children, make sure to check out the museum’s Family Sunday program, which includes hands-on art activities and tours for families.
Go rock climbing in the climbing park Kanzianiberg
If you’re interested in rock climbing, the Climbing Park Kanzianiberg is a fantastic destination to check out in Carinthia. Here are some tips for planning your visit:
- Check the climbing park’s website or social media pages for the latest information on opening hours, admission fees, and equipment rental options.
- Make sure to bring appropriate climbing gear, including climbing shoes, a harness, and a helmet. If you don’t have your own gear, the climbing park offers equipment rental.
- Choose your climbing route based on your skill level and experience. The park offers a range of routes, from easy climbs for beginners to more challenging routes for experienced climbers.
- Take part in a climbing course if you’re new to the sport or want to improve your skills. The climbing park offers courses for both children and adults, led by experienced instructors.
Explore the historic town of Friesach
Friesach is a small town in Carinthia with a rich history and many cultural attractions. Here are some tips for exploring the town:
Here are the Best Things to Do in Friesach (According to Tripadvisor)
- Start your visit at the town’s medieval castle, which dates back to the 12th century. The castle is now home to a museum, where you can learn about the town’s history and see artifacts from the Middle Ages.
- Take a walk through the town’s historic center, which is filled with charming narrow streets and medieval buildings. Be sure to visit the town’s main square, where you’ll find the Gothic-style Parish Church of St. Bartholomew.
- Visit the town’s Franciscan monastery, which was founded in the 13th century. The monastery features a beautiful courtyard and a church with frescoes dating back to the 14th century.
- Take a stroll along the town’s fortified walls, which date back to the 14th century. The walls offer great views of the town and the surrounding countryside.
- Check out the town’s annual medieval festival, which takes place every August. The festival features medieval reenactments, jousting tournaments, and live music.
- Visit the town’s historic brewery, which has been producing beer since the 16th century. Take a tour of the brewery and sample some of their local brews.
Visit the Carinthian Summer Music Festival
The Carinthian Summer Music Festival is a renowned music festival that takes place in Carinthia every summer. Here are some tips for visiting the festival:
- Check the festival program ahead of time to see what performances are scheduled during your visit. The festival features a wide range of musical styles, from classical to jazz to world music.
- Buy tickets in advance if possible, as many performances sell out quickly. You can purchase tickets online or at the festival’s box office.
- Dress appropriately for the performance you’ll be attending. Some performances are held outdoors, so bring a jacket or sweater in case it gets chilly. Formal attire is typically not required, but check the dress code for the performance you’ll be attending.
Take a scenic drive on the Grossglockner High Alpine Road
The Grossglockner High Alpine Road is one of the most scenic drives in Austria, offering stunning views of the Austrian Alps and the highest peak in Austria, Grossglockner.
What are the Top Attractions in Carinthia, Austria?
Lake Wörthersee: This picturesque lake is the largest in Carinthia and offers numerous water sports activities, including swimming, sailing, and stand-up paddleboarding. Visitors can also take a boat tour of the lake to see its stunning surroundings.
Hohe Tauern National Park: This national park is the largest protected area in the Alps and is home to many rare species of plants and animals. Visitors can hike, bike, or take a guided tour to explore the park’s natural beauty.
Burg Landskron: This medieval castle is located on a hill overlooking the town of Villach and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains. Visitors can explore the castle’s historic rooms and enjoy the beautiful gardens.
Kärnten Card: This tourist card offers free admission to over 100 attractions in Carinthia, including museums, cable cars, and outdoor activities.
Grossglockner High Alpine Road: This scenic road is one of the most spectacular mountain drives in the world, offering panoramic views of the surrounding peaks and valleys.
What are the Best Carinthia tours?
Lake Wörthersee Boat Tour: This guided boat tour takes visitors on a scenic cruise around Lake Wörthersee, with stops at picturesque villages and beaches.
Nockalm Road Tour: This guided tour takes visitors on a scenic drive through the Nock Mountains, with stops at panoramic viewpoints and alpine meadows.
Carinthian Lakes Tour: This guided tour takes visitors to several of Carinthia’s most beautiful lakes, including Lake Wörthersee, Lake Millstatt, and Lake Ossiachersee.
Hohe Tauern National Park Tour: This guided tour takes visitors on a hike through the national park, with stops at scenic viewpoints and waterfalls.
What are the best Day trips from Carinthia?
Venice, Italy: This beautiful city is just a few hours’ drive from Carinthia and is known for its historic canals, bridges, and architecture.
3 DAYS IN VENICE ITALY BEST VENICE ITINERARY
Ljubljana, Slovenia: This charming capital city is just a short drive from Carinthia and offers a blend of Mediterranean and Central European culture.
ONE DAY LJUBLJANA ITINERARY – HOW TO SPEND A PERFECT ONE DAY IN LJUBLJANA
Salzburg, Austria: This historic city is known for its Baroque architecture, music, and culture, and is just a few hours’ drive from Carinthia.
25 BEST THINGS TO DO IN SALZBURG AUSTRIA
Hallstatt, Austria: This picturesque village is located on the shores of Lake Hallstatt and is known for its historic buildings and beautiful surroundings.
TOP 10 THINGS TO DO IN HALLSTATT IN 2023, AUSTRIA
What are the most popular things to do in Carinthia with kids?
Minimundus: This miniature park features replicas of famous landmarks from around the world, including the Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty, and the Taj Mahal.
Pyramidenkogel Tower: This observation tower is the highest wooden tower in the world and offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and lakes.
Heidi Alm: This theme park is based on the popular children’s book character Heidi and offers activities such as hiking, mountain biking, and farm tours.
Klopeiner See Family Park: This wood-park park offers flying fox and other outdoor and indoor activities for families
What can you do in Carinthia for free?
Hiking: Carinthia offers over 1,200 kilometers of hiking trails, many of which are free to access.
Swimming: Many of Carinthia’s lakes and rivers offer free swimming areas, including Lake Wörthersee and Lake Ossiachersee.
Cycling: Carinthia has many bike paths and cycling routes that are free to use, including the Draur
What are the Best Carinthia Sightseeing Tours?
Villach Old Town Tour: This guided walking tour takes visitors through the historic center of Villach, with stops at landmarks such as the Main Square, the Parish Church of St. Jakob, and the City Museum.
Klagenfurt City Tour: This guided tour takes visitors through the capital of Carinthia, with stops at landmarks such as the Lindwurm Fountain, the New Square, and the Carinthian State Museum.
Lake Ossiachersee Cruise: This guided boat tour takes visitors on a scenic cruise around Lake Ossiachersee, with stops at historic villages and beaches.
Is Carinthia worth visiting?
Absolutely! Carinthia is one of Austria’s most beautiful regions, with stunning lakes, mountains, and forests. The region is known for its outdoor activities, including hiking, biking, swimming, and skiing, and also offers a rich cultural heritage, with historic castles, churches, and museums to explore.
What is Carinthia famous for?
Carinthia is famous for its beautiful lakes, including Lake Wörthersee, Lake Millstatt, and Lake Ossiachersee. The region is also known for its alpine landscapes, with many hiking and skiing opportunities, as well as its rich cultural heritage, including historic castles, churches, and museums.
How do you spend a day in Carinthia?
There are plenty of activities to enjoy in Carinthia, and here is an itinerary for spending a day in the region:
Start your day with a visit to Lake Wörthersee, the largest lake in Carinthia. Take a walk along the shoreline, rent a paddle boat or a stand-up paddleboard and enjoy the crystal-clear waters of the lake. You can also find some lovely cafes or restaurants where you can have a cup of coffee or breakfast with a beautiful view.
After spending a relaxing morning at the lake, head to the nearby town of Klagenfurt. Visit the Old Town, which features beautiful buildings, narrow alleys, and charming squares. You can also visit the Landhaus, a Renaissance-style palace that now serves as the seat of the Carinthian government.
Later, head to the Pyramidenkogel, a wooden observation tower that offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and lakes. The tower is over 100 meters high and is a popular attraction for tourists visiting Carinthia.
End your day in Carinthia with a delicious dinner at a traditional Carinthian restaurant. Carinthian cuisine is known for its hearty dishes such as “Kärntner Kasnudeln” (cheese-filled pasta) or “Reindling” (a type of sweet bread). Pair your meal with a local beer or a glass of Carinthian wine.
If you’re up for some more adventure, you can also consider night skiing or sledding on one of the nearby mountains or hills.
How many days in Carinthia is enough?
It really depends on what you want to do and see in the region. If you’re primarily interested in outdoor activities, such as hiking or skiing, you might want to plan a week or more in Carinthia. If you’re more interested in cultural attractions, such as castles and museums, a few days might be sufficient.
What are the best places for shopping in Carinthia?
Some of the best places for shopping in Carinthia include the center of Villach, which is known for its boutiques and souvenir shops, and the Old Town of Klagenfurt, which has many artisanal and specialty shops.
What are the famous Cities in Carinthia?
The two largest cities in Carinthia are Klagenfurt, which is the capital of the region, and Villach, which is known for its historic Old Town and proximity to the border with Italy and Slovenia.
Is Carinthia better than Vienna?
It really depends on what you’re looking for in a vacation. Carinthia is known for its natural beauty and outdoor activities, while Vienna is known for its rich history, culture, and architecture. Both destinations offer unique experiences and are worth visiting.
Is Carinthia walkable?
Many parts of Carinthia are walkable, particularly in the historic centers of cities such as Klagenfurt and Villach. However, if you plan to explore the region’s natural landscapes or visit attractions outside of the cities, you may need to drive or take public transportation.
Getting around Carinthia
Carinthia has a good public transportation system, including buses and trains, that can be used to get around the region. Many attractions can also be accessed by car, and rental cars are available at airports and train stations.
Where to stay in Carinthia?
Carinthia offers a wide range of accommodation options, from luxurious hotels and resorts to cozy guesthouses and apartments. Some popular areas to stay in the region include the shores of Lake Wörthersee, the historic centers of Klagenfurt and Villach, and the ski resorts of Nassfeld and Bad Kleinkirchheim.
Check Availability, Prices, and Book via Booking.com
Tips for planning a trip to Carinthia
- Consider the time of year: Carinthia is a popular destination year-round, but the best time to visit depends on your interests. Summer is ideal for outdoor activities, while winter is perfect for skiing and snowboarding.
- Plan your itinerary: With so many things to see and do in Carinthia, it’s important to plan your itinerary in advance to make the most of your time in the region. Consider the attractions and activities that interest you most, and plan your days accordingly.
- Book accommodations in advance: Carinthia can be a popular destination, especially during peak season, so it’s a good idea to book your accommodations in advance to ensure availability.
- Pack for the weather: Carinthia can have unpredictable weather, so be sure to pack clothing for all types of conditions, including rain, wind, and sun.
Best events in Carinthia
Villacher Fasching: This carnival celebration in Villach is one of the biggest in Austria, with parades, costumes, and parties throughout the city.
Carinthian Summer Music Festival: This classical music festival takes place throughout Carinthia, with performances by international artists in historic venues.
Ironman Austria: This triathlon event in Klagenfurt attracts athletes from around the world, with a swim in Lake Wörthersee, a bike ride through the mountains, and a run through the city.
Wörthersee Classics: This classic car show in Velden showcases some of the most beautiful and rare cars from around the world.
Overall, Carinthia is a beautiful and diverse region that offers something for every type of traveler. With stunning lakes, mountains, and forests, as well as rich cultural heritage and outdoor activities, Carinthia is definitely worth a visit.
Plan your Trip to Carinthia?
- 🏨 Find the perfect accommodation on Booking.com
- 🎡 Book the Best Guided Tour on GetYourGuide
- 😍 Get more emotions from your trip with Tripadvisor
- 🚘 Rent a car on Rentalcars
- ✈️ Buy the cheapest flight tickets with WayAway
- 🚂 🚌 ✈️ Best prices for Train, Buses, Cars, Ferries, and flights Omio